• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Put Matchsticks where?

I am new to growing peppers. Some one told me to put a blue diamond strike any-were match in the pot with the pepper when it sprouts, for a bigger better pod. Is this true, was my leg being pulled?:hell:

They may have thought the phosphorous would help the fruiting. I doubt that it would have any effect. All the nutrients your plants need are in the soil and any food you give them.
Phosphorous is used when flowering or fruiting, Nitrogen is used during the growth stage ;)
All nutrients out of a packet will have an N.P.K. number referring to the proportion of chemicals used in it's makeup.

Hope that was as clear as mud!

It may have worked for somebody once, but was probably nothing but coincidence. I have never heard of that method, I'd rather use a good fertilizer!

I wondered the same thing....and did an experiment this year with some Caribbean Red's and Peach Hab.....all of the plants with matches under them were SMALLER than those without....which I thought was interesting in that I had multiples of the Caribbeans and the one's WITHOUT MATCHES produced and grew far better! They all were watered/fertilized the same..... I only did it to 3 plants but those plants were crowded by other chiles that seemed to do better in the same soil.....I dunno........YMMV but give it a shot......i only tried it because I had heard the same thing....

Back