• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Q's About Hybridization

I had read some place that purple foliage is dominate as well.

will be interesting to see that play out with some experiments I have planned later this summer :).

I just found this little tid-bit, and thought I'd share

"purple color in plant leaves and stems frequently shows co-dominance, with the hybrid being purple, but not as purple as the parent"
Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving: Carol Deppe. Pg. 101

And some more great info, although quite technical

Abstract

The purple color of the foliage, flower and immature fruit of pepper (Capsicum spp.) is a result of the accumulation of anthocyanin pigments in these tissues. The expression of anthocyanins is controlled by the incompletely dominant gene A. We have mapped A to pepper chromosome 10 in a Capsicum annuum (5226) 2 Capsicum chinense (PI 159234) F[sub]2[/sub] population to a genomic region that also controls anthocyanin expression in two other Solanaceous species, tomato and potato, suggesting that variation for tissue-specific expression of anthocyanin pigments in these plants is controlled by an orthologous gene(s). We mapped an additional locus, Fc, for the purple anther filament in an F[sub]2[/sub] population from a cross of IL 579, a C. chinense introgression line and its recurrent parent 100/63, to the same position as A, suggesting that the two loci are allelic. The two anthocyanin loci were linked to a major quantitative trait locus, fs10.1, for fruit-shape index (ratio of fruit length to fruit width), that also segregated in the F[sub]2[/sub] populations. This finding verified the observation of Peterson in 1959 of linkage between fruit color and fruit-shape genes in a cross between round and elongated-fruited parents. The linkage relationship in pepper resembles similar linkage in potato, in which anthocyanin and tuber-shape genes were found linked to each other in a cross of round and elongated-tuber parents. It is therefore possible that the shape pattern of distinct organs such as fruit and tuber in pepper and potato is controlled by a similar gene(s).

http://www.springerlink.com/content/m4pdb02fdav218de/

The purpling is sort of an anthocyanin sun-tan, protecting plants from stron UV rays. It seems purple flower annuums are more likely to show this anthocyanin pigment although I'm still in the process of researching and documenting this observation

Yeah, that's the term. I forgot the name of it lol. I researched what causes the purpling of the plants.

I just found this little tid-bit, and thought I'd share

"purple color in plant leaves and stems frequently shows co-dominance, with the hybrid being purple, but not as purple as the parent"
Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving: Carol Deppe. Pg. 101

Cool book. That's what I've noticed with the F1 hybrid experiments I've read about. However, they didn't talk about the purple foliage. It certainly looks like co-dominance. The purple peppers might co-dominate with red. I can't wait to find out with my experiments.

My f3 "purple pepper project" crosses so far are showing mostly purple peppers (actually start yellow briefly). flowers, and foliage(We'll see more about foliage later with intense sun). Way more than I expected but I'm also not seeing any green or long chiles at all like the other parent, in this f3 or the previous f2 stage. About a quarter of them so far have longish yellow pods with only a slight purpling. The f1s were boring, ripening from green to blackish/purple to red with no purple stems or foliage

f1s all the same with no purple flowers, stems or foliage, although pods turned black/purple

Aug 25 033 by potawie, on Flickr

f2 selected for most desired characteristics. Not a lot of purple foliage or stems but what a beauty

July 28 002 by potawie, on Flickr

f3 the first batch of many

April 25 purple 002 by potawie, on Flickr

Back