• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Queequeg grows stuff, and fixes junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
plants:
if they look crumy, its because they are.
need water and ive been lazy, ill go back out there and water them at some point today.
also got SMASHED last night by some nasty wind...

victim of mine, not the wind. pvc hose sliped off the table and snapped it.
serrano dosent seem to care though. we shall see what happens...

lettuce plants.

cactus plants.

tobacco plants from last winter... i chopped these down to a stump but they grew back. ive not watered these what so ever since last... december ?
no clue why they are alive still.

fertigation machine. in pieces.

my intention here is to shrink the system down substantiall.... such that it fits into the trunk of my car. im going to fold my old design into 2 pieces... and push the frame out into the third dimension.
im also going to add a filtration system. the filtration will require a far more substantial pump, so im going to just mount this onto the frame as well as the filter.

my fancy pump. grundfos up15-58 with a custom plastic head from some other hydronic heating company.

can anyone identify this plug? if so i will kiss your mouth.
spent like an hour on the molex website... im 60% sure its not a molex branded connector.

Glad to see you're still at it....

No rest eh?

Keep it going ;) 

And look up and hurt these cretins who put that galvanized crap in that house. Oh wait, we can't talk like that anymore...never mind. Maybe a good scolding on Twitter or Facebook will suffice :shh:  Lets see: #badplummer or #leakyboy, sure that's not too harsh? We wouldn't want to hurt their little feelings now would we?

no i get plenty of rest...

all the plumbing is done, im just stuck right now looking for someone to fabricate my turning vanes... i made a huge misscalculation in assuming it would be trivial to have these 2" radius turning vanes fabricated =(.

turns out that 99% of fabricators only have these very large lovely motor driven slip rollers... and they bottom out at like 4" radius.  i have called and spoken with 8 fabricators at this point.  5 have told me out right that they cannot/will not fabricate them, 1 stopped communicating with me abruptly, and the other two i just got into contact with today... one thinks he can make them, but ive heard this story 3 times now.

sales guy says no problem... but sales guy speaks with the shop floor guys who let the sales guy know its not possible... then sales guy gets back to me and breaks my heart.

im very very very close to just buying my own cheap hand cranked slip roller. i can get a 24" for like 400 bucks... and hopefully sell it for like 200 when im done? idk... maby these last two guys will pull through.

regarding the galvanized...

honestly, im not too mad at the galvanized. it did its job well... never really failed in a serious way, and honestly... it should have been replaced like a year ago at least when the little spots started. all the joints were tight and not beat up w/ bad tools etc... all and all it was not that bad considering its only supposed to last like 30 years.

i am however continiously pissed off at the shotty framing... granted this is a single story hip roof and pretty hard to fuck up... but still some of the shit i find is just gross.

my favorite is... i have found probably 300 lbs of loose scrap lumber just left inside the attic from when the workers were using it as scaffolding to stand on when putting the roof together. basically its just sections of scrap 2x8 or 2x10s that they layed down across the ceiling joists to have something to stand on.

fine. what ever.  but fucking at least remove those loose pieces when you are done? i mean seriously, its just one more hazard for someone who has to work inside the attic... ac guys, plumbing guys, cable guys etc. its just super unprofessional imo.

Yeah, I don't think they thought back 30 years ago that the galvanized stuff would rot.

Bet that old lumber is as hard as iron now :D

its all SPF and hem fir so its pretty stout... but not super stable i guess.

and yea after hand nailing a few hundred 10d nails i can attest to how lumber sitting in at an attic at 130 for years at a time makes things pretty pretty hard.

some of the joists are no. 3  hem fir though =(.

apparently there was a building boom in the 1970s... and good grades of lumber were hard to find. alot of the no.3 stuff is ok... just knotty, but some of it has knots with cracks running the length of the lumber. i have had to sister like 3 joists like that.

that shit does bug me. id like to know who thought no. 3 was acceptable for a joist or anything load bearing...

You can learn a hell of a lot about a person by being in close contact with the products of the work they have done. When I climb a residential tree that has been in the care of a skilled arborist for a lot of it's life, I can tell. Good structure, branch spacing, smart well-placed cuts. Then there are trees that make me wonder how the fuck a 7 year old kid managed to climb a tree carrying a saw. :surprised:
     Sometimes it just gets demoralizing to see one fuckup after another culminate into a job that seems like it will only be fixed by using 500 lbs of anfo or a 100 cc. chainsaw.
     Here's to being one of the badasses who's work will inspire a smile and a nod in 50 years. :cheers:

Joists typically aren't "load bearing". The only load they carry is called a "live load" which means people and furniture. Where the joist sits on the wall or beam is the only "dead load" they carry, and if the joist splits there, you would hardly know it since the dead load from above can't allow expansion (vertically) to split. Hemfir is shit lumber for anything structural including columns.

And #3????? Whaaaat????? That is the shit to be used as a pavement condom when excavators need to cross rhe street. But I live in WA so I don't know nuthin 'bout no #3 shit. Except for what we call Utility Grade, and I have only seen that as 1 X 4's.

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
You can learn a hell of a lot about a person by being in close contact with the products of the work they have done. When I climb a residential tree that has been in the care of a skilled arborist for a lot of it's life, I can tell. Good structure, branch spacing, smart well-placed cuts. Then there are trees that make me wonder how the f**k a 7 year old kid managed to climb a tree carrying a saw. :surprised:
     Sometimes it just gets demoralizing to see one f**kup after another culminate into a job that seems like it will only be fixed by using 500 lbs of anfo or a 100 cc. chainsaw.
     Here's to being one of the badasses who's work will inspire a smile and a nod in 50 years. :cheers:
rofl, so i guess i shouldn't be pruning trees with my sawzall like i was planning? hahaha.

there is this squatty ash tree in the front... one of the limbs is starting to touch the shingles... u think i should get someone to cut it rather than standing on the roof and doing it myself?

queequeg152 said:
rofl, so i guess i shouldn't be pruning trees with my sawzall like i was planning? hahaha.

there is this squatty ash tree in the front... one of the limbs is starting to touch the shingles... u think i should get someone to cut it rather than standing on the roof and doing it myself?

That depends on a few things. Do you like the tree? Do you have a friend willing to post a vid of you doing it on YouTube? ;)
     If it's a big limb and you're just going to tip it back away from your house, then you're probably OK. Just don't let it tear out. If it's a younger tree ( hopefully not, cuz that probably means it's planted way too close to the house lol), maybe read up on how to do training pruning or hire someone.
     Either way, it's pretty hard to say without seeing the tree up close.
     Something else to consider is that the tree probably won't be there in a couple years due to EAB. Might be a good tree to practice on if nothing else.

Scoville DeVille said:
Joists typically aren't "load bearing". The only load they carry is called a "live load" which means people and furniture. Where the joist sits on the wall or beam is the only "dead load" they carry, and if the joist splits there, you would hardly know it since the dead load from above can't allow expansion (vertically) to split. Hemfir is shit lumber for anything structural including columns.

And #3????? Whaaaat????? That is the shit to be used as a pavement condom when excavators need to cross rhe street. But I live in WA so I don't know nuthin 'bout no #3 shit. Except for what we call Utility Grade, and I have only seen that as 1 X 4's.
i wouldnt say joists typically are not load bearing...but yea compared to an exterior wall or something they do not carry much load.

but joists need to carry the load of what ever is landing ontop of them, and what ever is hung underneath them.

in my case there was going to be heavy ass 5/8" drywall slung underneath, and 24" of cellulose ontop of that. plus they need to carry any storage weight and people walking around up there.

lumber grades very mill to mill... but yea no. 3 is usually only used on scaffolding to hold walls and shit up while you pour concrete.

oh the 70's... must of been a grand age to build houses...

I keep forgetting to ask. How did those cuttings work out? I had horrible luck getting those macrogonus pups to take. I babied the fuck out of them but they just got mushy and brown. No roots.
     Regardless, I have a two gigantic cuttings (one each of pachanoi and macrogonus) if you want them. They're old, but they still look very healthy. The pachanoi is about the size of my forearm and maybe 4-5 lbs. The macrogonus is a goddamn elephant leg. At least 15 lbs. I've had great luck rooting big cuttings like those. They just have way more energy stored up to send out roots early on.
     Let me know.

i tried to let them dry root for like a month and the healthier one pushed two little nubs out eventually.

problem is ive had it in pure verm and it kept drying out, so those little nubbins have not grown out properly. i think the problem is the house is usually like 55-60 degrees... and they are kinda still lazy.

the one i had to cut back seems to be ok... just no signs of life yet.

i need to take better care of them i know lol... just so busy.
ill get some pics of them at some point.

I can send you those cuttings if you want something that will root and grow a lot faster. That macrogonus will put on at least a foot this season if it gets in dirt soon. Then after that, probably 2-4' a year down in your climate.
     The peruvianus cuttings you gave me all took off, btw. That big one, especially, has about 6 more inches and a big crown of huge yellow spines. :cool:

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
I can send you those cuttings if you want something that will root and grow a lot faster. That macrogonus will put on at least a foot this season if it gets in dirt soon. Then after that, probably 2-4' a year down in your climate.
     The peruvianus cuttings you gave me all took off, btw. That big one, especially, has about 6 more inches and a big crown of huge yellow spines. :cool:
no no. ill get these going...

im glad that the peruvians took off. i was worried when you told me how bad the package was beat up.

yea they put out huge spines when they are in bright sunlight? or maby its the other way around?

the spins seem to be softer than the pacs though. they fold over easier and they smush when i snip them for handling. whereas the pac spines SNAP off and go flying in all directions.

dont get me wrong, they will spike the living shit out of you... but i grab them with a glove or towel, they seem to fold over rather than come through the glove or towel.

the pacs on the other hand come straight through my canvas gloves and dish towels... but the spines are shorter and stiffer.

Now I took a bunch of cactus pics even though you don't need replacements. I'm going to post them anyway.

HpunMss.jpg

Here's one of yours.
cLcVOYK.jpg

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
That depends on a few things. Do you like the tree? Do you have a friend willing to post a vid of you doing it on YouTube? ;)
     If it's a big limb and you're just going to tip it back away from your house, then you're probably OK. Just don't let it tear out. If it's a younger tree ( hopefully not, cuz that probably means it's planted way too close to the house lol), maybe read up on how to do training pruning or hire someone.
     Either way, it's pretty hard to say without seeing the tree up close.
     Something else to consider is that the tree probably won't be there in a couple years due to EAB. Might be a good tree to practice on if nothing else.
it was professionally pruned like 5 years ago... black gunk on the cuts and everything.

but he thought it would be better to leave the branch over the hosue because removing the whole branch would make the tree look "unbalanced".

thing is though all the lower stuff he cut out grew back in those 5 years and is back to almost touching the shingles, and i think it IS touching when its full of rain and the wind is blowing it around.

no i wouldnt be cutting more than a few 2" branches off the thing... but yea i dont have any real shit to do it safely... maby i can rent one of those electric chain saws mounted on a pole or something.

idk what sort of ash it is... i hear that there are a few kinds of ash. one of them dies off after a few decades naturally, this one shows no signs of death though so im guessing its one of the others.

i hear what you are saying about the emerald ash borer thing... apparently its decimating trees in the UK and down in the USA even more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back