• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Quest for Knowledge - Pepper pr0n - Intro

Hello,

I've been lurking for a few weeks here and checking out all of the kick ass grow-ops on this forum. It's an extremely helpful, interesting (and fun) resource. I appreciate all the folks who have enough passion to pull this thing together. I thought I'd share a few pictures and such. Hopefully you fellas would be gracious enough to dispense a little knowledge to the new guy. If I can be of any help to other forum members, I'll do my best.

I'm a novice grower. I'm about 31 years old and I got my first taste for extremely spicy foods in high-school. A friend brought some fresh orange habaneros to school. His dad grew them and he was daring the other kids to eat one. $10 if you could chew and swallow the whole thing. Well, $10 later and one hell of a pepper rush.... I was addicted. Next spring I went to the local nursery to buy some habanero plants and I've done so every couple of years since then with some decent success.

I just moved house at the tail end of May and I only had a little bit of time to throw some nursery bought plants in the ground. I transplanted a couple of weeks before actually moving in and here's what it looks like now. These pictures are all from today:

0728101741.jpg

I've already harvested several Hungarian wax peppers, a few green bell peppers, about 5 Cayenne peppers, 8 Anaheim peppers and a few Caribbean Red and orange habaneros. The Caribbean Reds are absolutely amazing. First time ever trying them. Taste like extremely spicy strawberries. Amazing fruit flavor!

0728100924.jpg

Mostly, my little patch of heaven is doing OK considering the nearly overabundance of rain, heat and bugs here in southwest Ohio:

Hungarian Wax
0728101814.jpg

Chocolate Bell starting to ripen. Also a tad of sun scald. I've been putting brown paper liquor store bags on the bell peppers during the day. I already lost a few to the sun.
0728101744a.jpg

Anaheim plants my buddy gave me:
0728101744.jpg

Putting 'em to good use!
0727102021.jpg

Cayenne peppers. They taste like spicy unripe green apples. Should they be sweeter?
0728101742a.jpg

Orange Habaneros
0728101742.jpg

Caribbean Reds
0728101741a.jpg

0728101741b.jpg

Jenny's (my GF) Brandywine tomatoes are even doing well
0728101743.jpg

Seems the biggest downer is the yellowing leaves I've got on a couple of plants:

Anaheims:
0728101813.jpg

Caribbean reds:
0728101817.jpg

About mid June I inserted 3 Jobe's organic fertilizer spikes around 4 - 5 inches from the base of each plant. Maybe too close? Just last weekend I bought a sprayer device, some neem oil and some fert pellets:

0728101816.jpg

I sprinkled some of the fert pellets on top of the mulch and sprayed the neem oil once on Sunday and once yesterday. I've had a few leaves drop but nothing major. Also, I still have some mushrooms growing on the mulch. I thought neem oil was a fungicide. Next year I'm putting my peppers in containers, that's for sure. I've been watering every three days if nature won't do it for me. The well water is very hard.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the pictures and I look forward to hearing any of your thoughts or suggestions.

BTW... my other hobbies are Electronic Music and Kentucky Bourbon!
0310.jpg

first off: Welcome!

now: nice setups!
what sort of electronic music do you produce there?

I wish I could help you with the yellowing of those leaves, but I have zero clue as to what it may be.

Thank you!

I don't really know what kind of electronic music it is. Maybe you can help identify? Here's something I started before my move. I'm just now getting time to get back into music and this is the direction I'm heading:

http://audio-kinetic.iswiz.com/plaid_emu/exp-01.mp3

Wow.. pretty darn complex there, I definitely like.
It's like if BT and Massive Attack had a mute baby, who then went to school in Chicago. Your breaks are very BTish/Ambient but a bit more trance-like/aggressive. I like it a lot.
You're definitely better at this than 95% of the stuff I listen to.

You're definitely better at this than 95% of the stuff I listen to.

Well that's one helluva compliment mang. I do appreciate it.

If you think I'm good, I'll have to introduce you to a few outfits that completely put me to shame:

http://www.plaid.co.uk/

http://www.subconsciousrecords.com/

http://www.autechre.ws/move-of-ten/

Welcome to the forum. Good looking plants you got there. I too have had some mushrooms pop up here and there, but havent really seen em as a problem. The neem should take care of em. But it works differently depending on how you use it. I had to do once every 7 days for a bit cause of aphids. It should start kicking in with the fungus and all that after more applications.

As for the music. Its like chiles with me. I love it all. Sometimes I like it harder, sometimes more mild. Ill check ya out and let you know how it sounds to me. Im sure Ill like it.

Thanks. I'll be a little more patient with the neem oil. I have noticed there are fewer bugs and whatever was eating holes in my peppers and biting the ends off has ceased its devious feeding. I'm not really worried about the mushrooms. I doubt they're as harmful as the mold/mildew types of fungus. I was just a little confused as to why they would pop up only after I sprayed the neem oil.

Anyone have a clue about the yellow leaves?

Nice peppers! And nice production station! Im looking to get an apc-40 soon ;)

I've been using ableton for about 3 years now, i love it with all my heart!

What style of music do you create?

Joe

:welcome: to the forums.
Nice crop you've got there. :) Those peppers look pretty healthy.

It's also nice to see another EDM head(s) here, too. :D

Nice peppers! And nice production station! Im looking to get an apc-40 soon ;)

I've been using ableton for about 3 years now, i love it with all my heart!

What style of music do you create?

Thanks! Ableton is definitely the choice for creative music composition. The APC-40 is really nice. Makes the workflow very fluid.

There's an MP3 link to a new song in progress in one of the posts above.

:welcome: to the forums.
Nice crop you've got there. :) Those peppers look pretty healthy.

It's also nice to see another EDM head(s) here, too. :D

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm trying to decide if I want to overwinter the Caribbean Reds. To quote the Dice Man: ..... "they're un-****ing-believable!"

love the song! a little dark with some great quality sounds. excellent mix. what do you use to master? I use cubase with wavelab. a bit of Reason thrown in here and there. very clean sound you got going on there. really cool stuff.

Excellent track you have there; I'm a huge electronic music fan from trance, grime, garage, breakbeat, bass, dubstep, acid house, etc. Favorite DJs: Stanton Warriors and Dan F.

Oh, and I guess the peppers are good too :D

Well that's one helluva compliment mang. I do appreciate it.

If you think I'm good, I'll have to introduce you to a few outfits that completely put me to shame:

http://www.plaid.co.uk/

http://www.subconsciousrecords.com/

http://www.autechre.ws/move-of-ten/

YES! Subsconscious records! Cevin Key's label of awesomeness :-)
I'm more than happy to see that you referenced them. (Cevin Key's The Dragon Experience was on repeat on my ipod for about 5 months straight).

love the song! a little dark with some great quality sounds. excellent mix. what do you use to master? I use cubase with wavelab. a bit of Reason thrown in here and there. very clean sound you got going on there. really cool stuff.

Well thank you sir! That track isn't exactly ripened yet (forgive the pun). I haven't delved into really mastering it yet. When I do my own ghetto mastering, I use a TC Electronic Triple C stereo multi-band compressor. I use Ableton Live to mix everything in-the-box with a few outboard goodies: Eventide Eclipse, Joe Meek MC2 and Bellari RP562.

Excellent track you have there; I'm a huge electronic music fan from trance, grime, garage, breakbeat, bass, dubstep, acid house, etc. Favorite DJs: Stanton Warriors and Dan F.

Oh, and I guess the peppers are good too :D

Thanks pvaudio! :)

YES! Subsconscious records! Cevin Key's label of awesomeness :-)
I'm more than happy to see that you referenced them. (Cevin Key's The Dragon Experience was on repeat on my ipod for about 5 months straight).

Dragon Experience is amazing. :high:

I've got damn near everything from that label and all the old Skinny Puppy albums too. I can't put into words how influential cEvin Key and "the crew" has been for my own work. There's still a vast frontier to be explored in the world of electronic music, and those dudes were true pioneers of the genre.

Also forgot to mention one of my other favorite "electronic" artists:

http://www.steveroach.com/

Back