• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Question about buying and using indoor led lights.

Hello, I'm planning on buying indoor LED lights since, I head it's very helpful with growing. However I have few questions regarding them. (I am planning on growing Carolina reaper, Trinidad Scorpion that one is in pot, Habanero yellow and red and thai chili). Also most of them are in those plastic pots and in 1 container, Scorpion is in seperate, traditional pot. All of these are measured in like 1,9x0,6 ft.
-Does colour and waves matter a lot, or it's just led that matters most?
-If yes, shall I buy multiple lights for each of them, despite keeping most of them in 1 container (all of them in each plastic pot).
-How those lights may affect my health so shall I keep them in place where I visit least?
-Is it a big problem if I will start lighting them, like 1 week after seeding them?
-I have a plastic cover to act as greenhouse, shall I get those lights inside that or it is fine if I light them outside that plastic cover?
-Also the price, which models are best, but not very expensive, let's say to like 50$.

Supposedly color (wavelength) matters for vegetative growth vs. blooming & fruit set. As I recall, redder is better for vegetation, bluer better for blooming.
A good full-spectrum light is probably best overall though. My dual-color lights, I usually just have both colors on all the time.

I don't know about health, but the colors mess with your vision when you go back to a normal light area. And they're BRIGHT, so I would keep them out of the way.

I would have the lights in place as soon as you see anything above soil, if not sooner.

I agree with all of this. Some of my lights have two modes. For growing vegetation, 430-660 nm. For flowers and fruit, 430-740 nm. The Veg side draws 125W and the flower side draws 55W. I always run both. The far red above 730 nm and some very low UV at 380-410 nm are pretty much invisible. They scare me. I never go around these lights without good eye protection. I don't need my cataracts getting fried. The light is weird. Blurple. I call them my UFO lights. Maybe good for plants but probably not so good for vision.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I got Spiderfarmer SW300. I hope it'll help since it's mainly for seeds to grow before moving them outdoor at late spring and summer.

Supposedly color (wavelength) matters for vegetative growth vs. blooming & fruit set. As I recall, redder is better for vegetation, bluer better for blooming.
A good full-spectrum light is probably best overall though. My dual-color lights, I usually just have both colors on all the time.

I don't know about health, but the colors mess with your vision when you go back to a normal light area. And they're BRIGHT, so I would keep them out of the way.

I would have the lights in place as soon as you see anything above soil, if

I agree with all of this. Some of my lights have two modes. For growing vegetation, 430-660 nm. For flowers and fruit, 430-740 nm. The Veg side draws 125W and the flower side draws 55W. I always run both. The far red above 730 nm and some very low UV at 380-410 nm are pretty much invisible. They scare me. I never go around these lights without good eye protection. I don't need my cataracts getting fried. The light is weird. Blurple. I call them my UFO lights. Maybe good for plants but probably not so good for vision.
I'm stuck buying off Amazon where I live do you recommend any lights off the site or I'd it all junk?

I'll give you links to the two I use:

Dual-color "grow" lights

5000K color temp "shop" lights

I've had good luck with both. The second ones need to be a bit closer, but they're perfect for my 18"x48" shelves - I just hang them from the shelf above. The "grow" lights work pretty good for bigger plants but I have them over a bunch of starters now and they're doing fine.

A warning on the plain white ones - they do seem to just stop working for no reason. I've lost maybe 5 of them like that over the past 4 years, but they're also cheap to replace (~$9 each). I get the 10-pack but there are smaller packages if you don't need so many.

I have this ENFUN LM301B & Meanwell Driver. It's made in China. Build quality is decent and not too expensive: https://www.amazon.com/EnFun-Updated-EF-2000-Compatible-Hydroponic/dp/B08C7DYMR9/

Latest LEDs are LM301H but they are more expensive. B model worth every penny! If you grow indoors like me then they need lots of watering and big pots.

IMG_20240325_121533677.png IMG_20240401_112351221_HDR.png

Last edited:
Back