• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question about Humidity Dome/ Heat Mat

I'm new to growing super hots, and am wondering when to take off the humidity dome and whether to leave on the heat mat or not. I don't want any damping off. Do the seedlings still need the heat mat? The oldest ones (First Bhut came up on Jan. 7) are just starting to form their first set of true leaves.

I'm keeping them under a little T5 setup I have.
IMG_0182_zps2426af51.jpg

Reaper1-14-side_zps08f90fab.jpg

Since peppers take so long to germinate, they do so it at differant speeds. I like to leave my seedlings under the dome until they fully sprout, to make sure they don't have "helmet head" (I think the extra humidity make it easier for them to shed thieir seed casings). AS they pop up, I move them to a sperate cell tray under my T8s to get them growing.

As soon as they sprout i remove the dome and transfer to a bigger pot after the first real leaves. If they look like there going to dampen off i hit them with a hydrogen peroxide spray.

As soon as they sprout i remove the dome and transfer to a bigger pot after the first real leaves. If they look like there going to dampen off i hit them with a hydrogen peroxide spray.

What if they haven't all sprouted?

Has anyone sprouted in full solo cups? I feel like potting up from little pods can be very stressful on the plants, disturbing roots at early stages, etc. I feel like the extra room for the roots to start would be helpful no?

Dampening off can be controlled by leaving a fan going as you want air movement.
Emeoba69 said:
Has anyone sprouted in full solo cups? I feel like potting up from little pods can be very stressful on the plants, disturbing roots at early stages, etc. I feel like the extra room for the roots to start would be helpful no?
I have never had a problem using the cells in the propagator I have. The roots are not damaged when I push the seedling up out of the cell from the bottom.

Emeoba69 said:
Either way works fine. I did a plant that way because i wasn't sure if the seed would be viable. I used a piece of saran wrap over the top of the cup with a ruber band to hold it. The benefit i noticied was that I didn't have to mess with it for a long time.

Either way works fine. I did a plant that way because i wasn't sure if the seed would be viable. I used a piece of saran wrap over the top of the cup with a ruber band to hold it. The benefit i noticied was that I didn't have to mess with it for a long time.

I started some of my seeds this way too, on top of my fridge even. Works well and is definitely less hassle. Will stick with cups going forward.

I did soak overnight, and pre-germ in a coffee filter before chucking the seeds into coir filled cups.

smileyguy697 said:

I started both my Butch T & my Brown Naglah in a way similar to that.. With the Butch T I quickly learned to go easy on how much I watered it before putting on the cover because I lost one I planted to mold and almost lost the other (the one I currently have growing) the same way.. But if you have aphids or fungus gnats lingering around it's a great way to avoid them ruining the seeds/sprouts. :)

Back