• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Question about mosquito dunks

Hey all, I know I've seen alot about these things but I thought I read somewhere once that using water that had these in them was bad to use on plants. I have 2 - 35 gal garbage cans and about 10 - 5gal buckets to catch rainwater and down here in South Florida we are the mosquito mecca. Is there a problem using this water with the mosquito dunks in them?  I also have to add some Chlorine/bleach to the buckets to keep the algae under control. I let the water sit for a day or two if I add the Chlorine/bleach before I consider using it.

Thanks again guys :)

Id think the bleach would negate the dunk. Its a a bacteria thats all over stuff you eat already, they are fine to use but the bleach will probably kill the bacteria therefore the dunk.

Not sure where you read but they are perfectly fine with plants.

The common reason people use them here, is to put them in water containers, and then water their plants. This is exactly what I did with all my plants while they were indoors. I happen to use the MD that looks more like sprinkles. 1 TSP per gallon.

Don't put bleach with your MD.

Cool thanks guys. The bleach is occasional for the garbage cans which I made screens for the top so they don't get as many mosquitoes as the 5 gal buckets do.

Back