• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds question about seedlings and indoor seeding

Hey everyone.

Just to start off, this is my first batch of seedlings... planted are the MOA scotch bonnetts...

All seedlings were up ( hooks and sprouts ) by Oct 9th.... so most plants are just over 3 months old....

all my seddlings are up... but my growth seems EXTREMELY slow... even under my high power LED light...

i am wondering if i made a mistake and moved them too early....

all seedlings came up in my planter..... after the initial 2 leaves, i waited for 2 more sets of leaves.... and seedlings we approx all 2" in height... i transplanted them out of there small containers ( 2" squares, and roots were reaching out of the bottom)... into Root pouches ( 1 gallon )... being bottom watered..... and getting sufficient water for sure....

Most plants havent grown much, are staying the same size.... staying nice and green.....  did i give them too much room? and shocked them when transplanting?

i am wondering if i should have potted up to smaller container... then to the root pouhes once they were a bit bigger....  Also... almost all my leaves are curled a little down... wondering if they could use some cal-mag or something....

i am trying to get it figured out... before i start my next super hots... which will be in the next few weeks.... ( canadian grower... trying to make the best of the short season ) after i make a few changes to my original planter set up... as i am going to start the seeds in 4" self watering container... converting the 2" to 4".... which worked Very well.... i converted 1 section on this trial run, and the seedling out of that position is growing the best....  gives me a lot more time before i have to move them.

Pic please. How long have they been transplanted for? It could be a shock, but in my experience peppers stay short for a while. Then they start growing rapidly after that, for a while. Then it's back to slow and repeat.  Another thing is that they barely grow in the winter, but once it warms up you should see them get about four feet tall. Make sure you have room.

Peppers grow really slow from seed to mature plant. Mine are usually 6-8 inches 10-12 weeks indoor under 4- 1000 watts hid lights. I transplant to 4 inch pots when they are 2-3 inches and one to two true leaves. I don't use cal/mag unless the leaves say they need cal/mag. You are fine peppers just grow slow in the beginning indoors. Post some pictures if you want more info.

i will try to get some pics up....  mine are about 12 weeks now... and most are only about 3 to 4" tall.... most have 3 sets of leaves ( small though... )... just seem to be taking ALOT longer than i thought....   i know its not truely warm but about 76 degrees in my grow area...

do you run your lights full on? for the first while? or 13hr cycle?

just trying to get that head start so i have some decent production this year..... and then i am going to over winter the best few..... i have ghost/hab/jal plants over wintering this year... so far, they have made it 4 months... inside!!  on the home stretch!!  hopefully my jal plant hits 5 or 6ft this year... its almost 3ft right now!!!

These are my babies about 6 weeks after popping (plus a couple weeks in the seedling tray)
gAlVCtzl.jpg

They are just getting ready for transplant surgery.

The tall ones are Annums, the short ones are Chinense.

The month after that, they really blew up (with the help of their new bigger pots and upgrade to 4xT5HO tubes).

They are now full-size plants (limited by pot size). My habs and prik-chi-faa are pushing out pods, but the Reapers just don't want to produce!

I know it's hard, but patience is required! As long as the plants look healthy, I wouldn't worry *too* much about their size for now.

Nitro said:
i will try to get some pics up....  mine are about 12 weeks now... and most are only about 3 to 4" tall.... most have 3 sets of leaves ( small though... )... just seem to be taking ALOT longer than i thought....   i know its not truely warm but about 76 degrees in my grow area...

do you run your lights full on? for the first while? or 13hr cycle?

just trying to get that head start so i have some decent production this year..... and then i am going to over winter the best few..... i have ghost/hab/jal plants over wintering this year... so far, they have made it 4 months... inside!!  on the home stretch!!  hopefully my jal plant hits 5 or 6ft this year... its almost 3ft right now!!!

I run my lights 24/7 for 6 weeks and then go 16/8 until outside

Back