• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question for the pod heads

Hey, yall. Our grocery store started getting in the most awesome habaneros I've ever seen locally. Instead of the thin-walled puny orange habs normally sold locally, these look like caribbean reds I've seen down in the islands.
They are gorgeous and meaty.
Anyway, I bought some extras for seeds. What is the best way to harvest seeds from fresh pods? Do I need to dry them in a dryer? Sun dry them?

Any suggestions?

I appreciate in advance your assistance.

Josh

Well if you want to grow them straight away then put them straight into soil from the fresh pods. If not I don't dry mine in sunlight, I dry them in a warm, dark place.

Seconded 100%!

If you wanna keep some for trades/backups/next season... put them in a paper bag (that'll absorb any moisture left). If you don't have any paper bags, use a piece of newspaper and fold a bag from it. After a week or two, place them in a zipbag or sth like that.

Chiliac said:
Seconded 100%!

If you wanna keep some for trades/backups/next season... put them in a paper bag (that'll absorb any moisture left). If you don't have any paper bags, use a piece of newspaper and fold a bag from it. After a week or two, place them in a zipbag or sth like that.
============================
Thanks for the input, you guys. Sorry for my absence of late....med school has gotten a bit tough the last several weeks. These pods remind me of a caribbean market.

Oh, you said POD heads...nvm then. ;-D

Ya, I just take em out, let em set on a paper plate for a couple days and stick em in an envelope. Seems to be ok.

'pod heads' - I like it!

just air dry them for storage. when the seeds bend but don't break they should be dry enough for storage. I usually keep mine in tiny sealed baggies with some rice to absorb any moisture.

for immediate planting just pop them in the ground/media and they will germinate as normal, even if they've been in the fridge. they probably won't sprout if they've been in the freezer as the expanded water molecules rupture the seed membrane virtually killing the seed.

rainbowberry wisdom is worth its wait in 7pots lol..seriously had some great advice from her always been spot on.:)

When I finally dry something, I use sunlight. takes a day or two to dry a whole pod. the sun is crazy here.

Back