• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question for y'all

Got plants coming in (yeah!) in my Jiffy boxes. Some are already on their 4th-5th sets of leaves.
Question: when should I transer the jiffy pellets to small pots?
Question: when should I start to consider plant food?
Question: is miracle grow okay, or is there a better plant food for peppers?

Thanks in advance.

With 4 or five leaves you should be in a 4" or larger pot already. I wouldn't worry to much about feeding you little ones until they get outside and growing fast. Mircle Grow diluted half strength or more would work.

Ya, like Pepper Ridge Farmer said, if they're that far along, put them in something larger. Take the webbing from the peat pellet off, or at least tear it so it doesn't bind.

Miracle Grow half strength is ok for right now, but remember that it is very high nitrogen, and can work against flower bud production. Personally I like to give mine some liquid seaweed when I transplant, it help buffer them against any shock. My preference is Maxicrop Plus Iron, but there are others on the market just as good.

Pam said:
Ya, like Pepper Ridge Farmer said, if they're that far along, put them in something larger. Take the webbing from the peat pellet off, or at least tear it so it doesn't bind.

Miracle Grow half strength is ok for right now, but remember that it is very high nitrogen, and can work against flower bud production. Personally I like to give mine some liquid seaweed when I transplant, it help buffer them against any shock. My preference is Maxicrop Plus Iron, but there are others on the market just as good.

I've got some Alaska More Bloom (fish emulsion) that I use for my bonsai's....(10-10-10). Do you think that might work a bit better?

Thanks for the advice on the pots, btw....I'll transplant them after I get done with my tests on Monday

staffing said:
I've got some Alaska More Bloom (fish emulsion) that I use for my bonsai's....(10-10-10). Do you think that might work a bit better?

That'll probably work better than the Miracle Grow.

Thanks for the advice on the pots, btw....I'll transplant them after I get done with my tests on Monday

Good luck on the exams!

Back