• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question? Has anyone grown peppers in Alaska?

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading the forms for years but just registered today. I want to know if anyone has ever grown peppers in Alaska before? I am moving there this coming June and cant wait to start growing the following summer. Looking for tips or ideas about growing in state. I have lived there before for 7 years but did not grow then, it was a trip to a country store in Virginia that got me hooked on peppers. Thanks for any and all information.

there is one member I know of although I can't remember his username...

Thanks POTAWIE just finished looking, was hoping for some more. People have to eat something to keep them warm up north in the winter?

Looking at the average highs/lows during the summer, it will probably be a challenge growing peppers outside - especially the late-maturing varieties. You may find yourself raising your little babies under lights for a few months before the last frost date. It also appears that it has frosted during every month of the year - keeping you on your toes.

I'm pretty far north, not quite Alaska tho. You will probably have to overwinter everything, and you might not get anything to produce the first year. Hopefully you have some space where you can set up some indoor grow space.

I would really like to hear what varieties you grow in AK? I live in zone5 so I am wondering. My heavy harvest comes from my jalapeno plants is that what you guys grow up further north?

Hi Capsicum,

I grow 7 pots, T.S., Bhuts, Nagas, Habs, Jalapeno, etc. I started two different batches of seeds this winter. One group I started October 1st and the second group started December 1st under lights. The plants will go into the greenhouses May 15th.

I'm glad I found this thread...dakota...we may become CLOSE friends in a year. Wife REALLY wants to move to AK...and I don't want to give up growing supers.

Does the photoperiod jack with the plants at all?

Back