• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question regarding growth/size

How big can/should hots get for my climate? (zone 5/6 state college PA)

Started from seed early-mid Feb, light 1-2 inches off the seedlings, as a result low and bushy plants. Planted out around 4-6" tall. Had some issues w/ overwatering and overfertilizing as it was my first year from seed, so lost some growth and leaves along the way...

However, they've been in the ground almost three weeks and haven't got too much bigger. Mostly a result of straight clouds and rain for about the first two weeks they were out, but thanks to a dose of compost tea and some sun they're showing good new growth.

I google pictures of these various plants (datil, fatalli, CRH, SB, harold's saint bart, BJ, etc...) and they get BIG if given the chance. I mean like 4-5' big (as you guys know).

So I'm sitting here with plants between 6-12" (only 1 or 2 are in that 12" range, most are 6-8"), pinching flowers like crazy, wondering when to stop pinching and how long it will take them to get to mature size but wait I've got to give the pods time to set and ripen but I want them to get to full size before I let fruit set but but but....

Part of me wants to just say heck with it, keep up with the tea and watering but let the rest up to nature. But the analytic part of me wants to pinch, and coddle, and do my best to get them to 4' in the next month and then let them explode with fruit.

Can I really expect a 6" plant to get to 3 or 4 feet in a matter of weeks? Should I keep pinching flowers for a while?

Or should I crack a beer and say to hell with it?

Sit back and enjoy a cold one, I planted 4 trinidad scorpions back in february and two are near the 12" mark and the other 2 are like 6"... Just remember their slow growing..... Time will only tell...

Can't expect them to go from 6" to 3' in the next few weeks, but they will get there with plenty of time. Cold nights slow them down. Now you have made your seat and set up the movie screen. Time to sit back and watch. Want butter?
popcorn.gif
:rofl:

Thanks for the advice guys...it's just so hard to sit back and let things go for me....not to mention I'm pretty damn impatient haha. Good thing I've got a vacation comIng up that will keep my mind occupied...i need to understand that I can't control the weather too! I hate not having control :)

Back