• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Questions about "Chihuacles Negros"

Hi all,

Someone that I barbecue with offered me some chihuacle negro seeds. I have not seen these mentioned often on the net other than they are used in mole sauces and not common.

Does anyone first hand information to share about this pepper?
Is it "only" to be used dried?
What does it taste like?
How big does the plant get?

This is a info blurb I found...
Chilhuacle negro [chee-WAH-lee] chiles are rare and one of the hardest to find chiles from Oaxaca. One of the key ingredients in a traditional mole negro. These are only grown in southern Mexico. The chiles are shaped like little miniature bell peppers and measure about 2 -3 " accross and provide a deep intense flavor.

Any information helps. Thanks!

this link may show you what you looking for
My link

Thanks for the nice photo, that was helpful to see.
Actually a really nice photo of the pods!

Information there is pretty much what I found already though.
Looking for some deeper knowledge/info/experience.

Thank You.

EDIT: Found this photo also.
Pods are very different looking.
http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=2775

Thanks for the nice photo, that was helpful to see.
Actually a really nice photo of the pods!

Information there is pretty much what I found already though.
Looking for some deeper knowledge/info/experience.

Thank You.

is has sweet smokey flavor not hot at all. i think the best way to use it is dry

it almost has a smokey, almost earthy flavor... You can eat/cook with them fresh, most of the time they are dried or Ground into a powder. If I am not mistaking, the pepper you are talking about is also known as the pasilla (its spanish for Raisin) because when they dry thats almost what they look like. I actually have some germinating right now (so my kids can help with a large pepper, that wont hurt them). They are worth the grow in my opinion. Hope this helps ya Brother...

Just finished reading all of your post... I think we are talking about another pepper...

more pics
chilies062.jpg

chilies061.jpg

chilies060.jpg

@pepperlover.. thanks again for more photos!

Question: Is this a photo of a pasilla? http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=2775

Pepperlovers photos are indeed the one I am getting seeds of from a friend. Not the larger pods in the link above.

Pasilla is a dried chilaca, which is not the same as a chilhuacle despite somewhat similar spelling.

Smiter, that is a picture of a chilhuacle, not chilaca. Chilhuacle as far as I know has the same name dried or fresh, unlike many Mexican chiles. Chilaca is long, thin, pointy, and hotter than chilhuacle, which is shaped kind of like a shorter poblano.

Adding to the confusion, the Kroger grocery stores here label some large, long, pointy fresh red pepper (ancient sweets?) as "pasilla" for reasons unbeknownst to me, and some confused gringos in California apparently label poblanos as pasillas as well.

Back