• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Questions from a total rookie

I love hot sauce, and I have a pretty decent collection of different brands, but I am wanting to try making my own. I like a mild to hot heat with a good flavor. I know no idea where to even start or what I need to do this. I just know, I want to make my own to my personal taste.
If anyone can give me a basic rundown on the equipment I may need and the process, I would be very grateful.

Welcome, Drifter,
:welcome:

Here'sa great page with lots of good recipes. Just start reading through them and you'll get a good idea of hot sauce basics. You don't need the fancy woozy bottles to get started. Just use store-bought canning jars or some other empty bottles, just make sure it's clean and you refrigerate it. You can't re-seal the lid on a recycled/re-used bottle.

Have Fun! Post pics~~~
salsalady

edit to include link- :cool:

Welcome, Drifter,
:welcome:

Here'sa great page with lots of good recipes. Just start reading through them and you'll get a good idea of hot sauce basics. You don't need the fancy woozy bottles to get started. Just use store-bought canning jars or some other empty bottles, just make sure it's clean and you refrigerate it. You can't re-seal the lid on a recycled/re-used bottle.

Have Fun! Post pics~~~
salsalady

edit to include link- :cool:

Thank you very much SalsaLady! I am reading that link now.

The key is experimentation. Read ingredients lists of the sauces you like, and try to re-create them using those same ingredients. Realize though when you see "peppers" listed on the ingredients list on the bottle, most commercial hot sauces aren't using straight pepper purees, but rather a fermented pepper mash using those peppers. That's where many people go wrong IMO.

Back