• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Quick question on potting up...

Is it fine to pot up as soon as true leaves appear on seedlings?

I mean, some of these lil' fellas are tiny!

Hi Paul,

You can but just be careful. I think the survival rate is higher if you also take the "dirt" surrounding the seedling with it to the new pot. I prefer to wait a few days after the appearance of the first set of true leaves. Good luck my friend.

I've done it both and when I waited to repot them till the second pair of true leaves came out they restored quicker. Maybe because the roots are a little bit bigger then when they are smaller?

Is it fine to pot up as soon as true leaves appear on seedlings?

I mean, some of these lil' fellas are tiny!

You could, but Patrick has it right, take it all soil and seedling, carefully pot up slightly deeper, and with either an indoor grow or outdoor, try doing this at the end of the light cycle/daylight, shocking the seedling will set it back abit :( ......good luck

if you have lots of seedlings and not much time start right away.
if you have ones or you got hundreds the strategy is not the same?
'hard to germinates' and 'rares' i would wait until roots come out the bottom
your success rate versus time available is your opinion and your calculations
do your own due diligence DYODD
what varieties are you starting now?( i bet you have the best fataliis)

"I mean, some of these lil' fellas are tiny!"
:woohoo:
then you should try to be 'gentle'

edited because found hunt's location on profile

Cool -

Thanks, guys!

I am battling against impatience here, as I am sooo desperate for fresh pods again..(nothing worse than being pod-less, right?)I'll be sensible though...

I have a few super hots, but many are basic varieties that I hope to sell at the local food market to supplement my income - Cayenne, Poblano, Fresno, etc.

Back