• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Quick questions about Jelly

I follow a very basic Jelly recipe - Makes about 6 8oz jars
3/1 ratio of Habs and Japs,
Vinegar
Sugar
Fruit
Pectin
Salt

I was just gifted a Bhut (Hottest thing I have ever had) and I want to make a jelly with it. Should I substitute all or some of the peppers for the Bhut? Should I deseed it or leave it whole? What kind of fruit would go best with it?

Obviously anything anyone wants to throw in will be greatly appreciated.

You could sub out some of the habs for the bhut if you're worried about the heat, or leave them in and add the bhut to your usual recipe for a hotter jelly. Deseeding or not would be up to you. Can't answer on the fruit as I haven't cooked with bhuts yet. Sounds like it'll be a great jelly either way! 

You can take any jam or jelly recipe and just add the bhut into it.  Personally, I don't like the flavor of green chiles in jelly recipes.  I like the flavor of ripe chiles in jam/jellies.    If you want to use the same recipe you used before, just add it in and that will bump up the heat. 

If mixing with fruit- blackberry cherry, strawberry and even plum seem like good fruits that can handle a bhut.  Follow the jam/jelly recipe and add the finely minced chile. 

Have Fun!   

I had some tonight on french toast! Raspberry Inferno, good stuff. No seeds... super tasty, nice heat. Ghost peppers.

Back