• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Quinoa Love!

After a couple weeks of searching around locally we finally found some quinoa to grow.  We're trying a couple different grain crops in small amounts as their essential in John Jeavons method of growing.  We found lots around, mostly outside of Canada and costing an arm and a leg once shipping was factored in, not worth it seeing as we just wanted to try them.  While shopping at the bulk barn I had an epiphany, I was surrounded by grain stock, so I bought; quinoa, purple prairie barley and cavena nuda.  For under 3$ we have enough seed to play with for a couple years (or eat if we get bored), goes to show the value of thinking outside the consumer box...

Now we're definitely feeling the quinoa love and we're loving it right back as they're quite tasty micro greens.
1002968_479707085439124_531219453_n.jpg

I should be planting a small amount later in the summer.  I never grown it before but apparently it can get quite large.  I can't plant in spring here because we see high 90's/low 100's(f) in late June and early July which will apparently ruin it.  No fears of fall rains destroying crops though. 

Sorry for the late reply, been so busy with work I somehow missed your post. We just have a couple plants, mostly to see how it grows before we try growing a decent portion of our gardens with it next year.  We've also got some amaranth growing as well, so many interesting plants to try.  Our main objective with them is more compost then grain, the fact we can eat their leaves is an added bonus.

I don't have room for many plants either, but will probably still try half a dozen or so in a few more weeks and see how good or bad they do.  They should have until mid October before it freezes so only about 12 weeks to grow.  It's been hotter than usual this year and apparently mid 90's pretty much kills it.    We only have about 1200 sq. ft. of garden space and most of it is dedicated to peppers and tomatoes but I've investigated Amaranth as well and might plant some next year.  Despite my wife's hot pepper addiction she's still pushing for more "edible" stuff next year.  :confused:

Good to know, I really don't know that much which is why we're trying just a couple plants in a container.  I'd kill to have 1200sq ft, this year our garden is only 77sq ft...  The difference of perspective.  Next year I plan on renting a 1000sq ft plot at a organic community garden, chances are I'll be over the scale shock soon and thinking bigger.  "If I just had another 500 sq ft, I could squeeze in..."  

Our frost will arrive in mid-october as well, but we'll have temps well into the 90's until the end of august before it starts to plummet.  I guess we'll see how they do, we're only growing 2 fully, a couple of cherry vanilla quinoa.  We also have 2 red garnet amaranth to test before next year, those I know can handle the heat.  Regardless at least we'll have a couple hot summer spinach alternatives to try.  Mostly though I'm looking at high carbon crops I can grow to improve the quality of the compost, if I can get some greens out of it, possibly some root veges as well (apparently you can eat amaranth root), all the better.  I can see much point in trying to grow a more traditional grain in such a small area, but something like quinoa, amaranth or cardoon, at least it provides some food, lots of carbon for the compost heap and pretty flowers as well.

The seedling pictured above was long since eaten as a micro-green.  I've already got my schemes to build an indoor garden for the winter to keep us supplied with greens, baby veggies, tomatoes, ground cherries and strawberries.

Back