• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Quips and Quotes for Life

"Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is everything works but no one knows why. In our lab, theory and practice is combined: nothing works and no one knows why" - unknown, rumored Einstein

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - credited to Einstein, not sure it's from him...

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

"It's certainly possibly to hustle and fail. It is not possible to fail to hustle and succeed." 
-Me, 2012

"Never use a $5 word when a $0.50 will do just as well or better." 
-my technical writing teacher - an excerpt from a longer paragraph that I love: 

An extensive vocabulary can be a powerful writing and speaking tool; it can also be misused, made to make others feel powerless. Never use a five-dollar word where a fifty-cent word will do the job just as well or better. Do we really need utilize when a three-letter word, use, will nicely suffice. Risible is a lovely word, but is it worth sending your readers to the dictionary when laughable is at hand? It's a good question. On the other hand, don't cheat yourself or your readers out of some important nuance of meaning that you've discovered in a word that's new to you. At some point you have to assume that your readers also have dictionaries. It's sometimes a tough line to draw—between being a pedantic, pretentious boor (Oh, there are three dandies!) and being a writer who can take full and efficient advantage of the English language's multifarious (another one!) resources."

business motto-
"We ain't fast, but we are expensive"

(Essi, did you read all the other 12,768 posts in The Drunken Chef thread to find post #12,769?  :rofl:)

salsalady said:
(Essi, did you read all the other 12,768 posts in The Drunken Chef thread to find post #12,769?  :rofl:)
It was just a reply to me! :D

"Usually, if you are very lucky, the cat will treat you as an equal." - James K. Olson

Scoville DeVille said:
Contractors motto:
You can have it done RIGHT, FAST or CHEAP. Pick 2.
-unkown

This is actually the Project Management triangle simplified. 

1526233_10152096770165340_1297460819_n.jpg

Heaven: “an English policeman, a French cook, a German engineer, an Italian lover — and everything organized by the Swiss.”
Hell: “an English cook, a French engineer, a German policeman, a Swiss lover — and everything organized by the Italians.”
John Elliott
Last part of hell is still valid. :silenced:

Back