• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rabbit Droppings?

So we got a new family member (a rabbit),and I was wondering if rabbit droppings could be good for my pepper plants? Even though it might take forever to collect enough droppings...
Thanks
J

As I know, one of the best! Got a rabbit too, in fact my daughter, but she only OWN the rabbit, so far not concerned about feeding, cleaning... The positive for me are thse droppings :-) Yu can search the forum for rabbit tea, I have made once and used, but this is my first time, not concludent experience yet.
The droppings will be enough in short time, because you can prepare a tea, so not much droppings will produce enough tea, and the tea will have to be dilluted too.
I also put 3 dried pcs. of rabbit droppings to each plant when I moved my plants in the dirt.

I think you will be surprised how much they crap. I have a friend who keeps rabbits. Its potent with nitrogen. a little goes a long way. I have never used it fresh. I get it composted for 2+ months but I have heard it doesn't burn when used fresh. Not sure I would trust that though. And yeah, its great shit one of the best.

Rabbit droppings are cold manure so they don't need to be composted.  Their conversion rate of food is 4-1 so you'll get something for every pound of food you'll get back 3 of poop.  Happens to be one of the best conversion rates in mammals.

This year we have bunnies all over the property :) .  But need to be real quick to get any 'nuggets' to add to my worm casting soup.

My terrier hunts nuggets to devour, gobbles 'em like candy.  Over the years we have had many terriers and Labs.
All the terriers loved hunting bunny 'nuggets' as much (or more) than chasing bunnies.

I get lucky enough to have wild rabbits pooping all around my peppers and yard. I find it funny that a frequent spot this one rabbit stays in has some of the greenest grass :) 

Lol I'm lucky,as rabbits always pick a specific place to urinate,and we have a big age for her,and inside the cage is a small carrier,she only urinates inside of the carrier,so less work for me...I just tilt the carrier into a plastic bag and collect the droppings like that. We also have a wild rabbit here that my dad tried to shoot...he says rabbit stew is very good,lol

chilli whisperer said:
Lol I'm lucky,as rabbits always pick a specific place to urinate,and we have a big age for her,and inside the cage is a small carrier,she only urinates inside of the carrier,so less work for me...I just tilt the carrier into a plastic bag and collect the droppings like that. We also have a wild rabbit here that my dad tried to shoot...he says rabbit stew is very good,lol
Rabbit stew with some pepper vinegar sauce is the bomb - diggity... :)

Don't have any rabbits, but they do come from the brush line behind the house to eat my young new pepper leaves.
Had to move peppers closer to back porch  They won't come close to the house.

I have sixteen rabbits and they are pooping machines. I usually mix it in my soil but decided to make teas with it this year instead. Anyhow if I was you I'd get another and breed them. While the mother is pregnant and feeding she will eat and shit like a hog. Now the best part is a rabbit has a 32 day gestation period and can be impregnated the next day after having her kits (I don't recommend that tho).. Usually I alternate my does monthly and thump the babies around 6 to 8 weeks. They are awesome fried like chicken or grilled with your favorite bbq sauce! if you decide to go this route and have any questions hit me up!

Jerk rabbit is awesome.  I have 25 holes and there's always rabbit to eat.  I find that my worm processed rabbit manure doesn't hold water very well.  You really need to mix it with other stuff.

smileyguy697 said:
and thump the babies around 6 to 8 weeks. They are awesome fried like chicken or grilled with your favorite bbq sauce! if you decide to go this route and have any questions hit me up!

6-8 weeks old? Seems a bit indulgent... :D

hot stuff said:
I find that my worm processed rabbit manure doesn't hold water very well.  You really need to mix it with other stuff.

You didn't actually try to grow in straight rabbit poo, did you?

Whether it's composted, vermicomposted, or straight - if you're going to use it as a planting medium, you need to mix it 60% pine bark fines to 40% rabbit manure.

Can I use it on seedlings? I dried it all up,and was wondering if I can crush it into a powdery like substance and just throw it over the seedlings onto the ground in the seedling trays?

Back