• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Rabid48's Unknown Peppers from AjiJoe - More Ripening!

Update 6/19 - Added a picture of plant 1.

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd start a thread about all of the unknows I have in my garden. A few of them are starting to flower and get some pods, so I thought now would be a good time to get this started. I'll be updating it as new pods show up and I figure out what's what.

I currently have 13 superhots and 7 hots from Joe's respective mixes growing in the garden.

As of 6/18, only one plant has pods. I'll try to use this same format for each plant as it comes along, giving all the info I know to help get the I.D.'s.

Plant 1: Chinese 5 Color
IMG_20120616_183320.jpg

IMG_20120619_171928.jpg

From Mix: Hot
Plant Species: Annum Chinese
Flower Type: One per Node
Flower Size: Very small, pinhead
Flower Color: White
Pod Colors During growth: Yellow/cream, purple (so far)
Pod Size: Small
Pod Growth Habit: Upright
Pod Shape: Bullet
Notes: In the center of the image you can see a purple pod with a Yellow one right next to it. There's also a small yellow pod just starting immediately behind the purple one.

Thanks for looking everybody! I should have another plant putting some pods out soon that's a purple plant, so stay tuned.

-Nate

PS - Special thanks to Joe again for giving noobs like me the chance to grow some rare and interesting peppers with is SASBE offers this spring. Helluva guy that one.

nate on second thought, i think #9 might be Neon Yellow Habanero?? it sure does look like it im growing them this season and they taste really good!!
look it up for general referance, it would be called NEON HABANERO and i think the German site "SEMILLA DE" may have a pic of it??

thanks your friend Joe

if it turns brown and is a little hot this one will be CHILIE DE ONZO

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

THE TOP BUNCHER MAY TURN YELLOW IF IT DOES IT WILL BE "CANDLE YELLOW"

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

Hey Joe, Thanks for the thoughts. The neon yellow is a possibility, but from my quick Google research it looks like it is light green while it is unripe, where as this one that I have was very dark (the flash made the ones in the picture look light).

The Chile de Onza is dead on. It just started turning brown a few days ago.

The bunched one looks red IMO, so I'm leaning towards the starburst orange or some cross.

I'll try to get some better newer pictures tomorrow to update. Thanks for all your help!

Hey Joe, Thanks for the thoughts. The neon yellow is a possibility, but from my quick Google research it looks like it is light green while it is unripe, where as this one that I have was very dark (the flash made the ones in the picture look light).

The Chile de Onza is dead on. It just started turning brown a few days ago.

The bunched one looks red IMO, so I'm leaning towards the starburst orange or some cross.

I'll try to get some better newer pictures tomorrow to update. Thanks for all your help!
okie dokie!! kep um comin im having fun!!

Tasted anything yet?

I have not. I'm slightly nervous not knowing what type of peppers they all are!

I did taste Pant #2, which was very hot, with a unique taste. I'm thinking it's some type of pequin cross or something like that.

I might try a few tonight.

Alright here's the picture update I've been meaning to do for many weeks.

Plant #2:
IMG_20120829_172214.jpg

Plant #3:
IMG_20120829_172149.jpg

IMG_20120829_172158.jpg

Thought these were Jalaps but some have this shape on the blossom end.

Plant #4:
IMG_20120829_172224.jpg

Plant #5:
IMG_20120829_172243.jpg

Plant #6:
IMG_20120829_172256.jpg

Every Pod off of this plant has rotted, this one included.

Plant #7:
IMG_20120829_172236.jpg

Very small leaves, lots of small (1 in) peppers. I might try this one tonight.

Plant #8:
IMG_20120829_172417.jpg

Chile de Onza. I might try this one tonight.

Plant #9:
IMG_20120829_171849.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques Maybe? Lots of shape variety across the plant on this one.

If somebody gives me a bump I'll post some new ones.

#2 is a cross most likely candles red x?
#3 ?
#4 ?
#5 candle red
#6 cant tell
#7 could be hot Equidor X i have this one on my list Very tasty
#8 chile de onzo
#9 its a hab for sure what it is exactly is anyone's guess between me and my friend we had so many

sad thing is the mix is a collection of goodies starting back at the 2009 season so its really hard to tell what some may be because i forget, i just cant throw them away and well when it comes to people like you and Melissa who enjoy them, i am glad i didn't throw them away and im having fun trying to remember

keep um coming

thanks beautiful plants!1

your friend Joe

I actually tried #7 and thought it had a hint of Chinese 5 color to it. I also think it was overripe, the pod was very juicy and the walls were thin.

Plant 2 is pretty significantly different than the red candles one. Probably took on more traits of the purple plant.

Here's some new ones (all are Chinese and superhots):

Plant 10:
IMG_20120829_172009.jpg

The pod on the right is about the size of a golf ball. They are very light green in color.

Plant 11:
IMG_20120829_172034.jpg

Similar to 10, but the lobes are a little different. Each one only has 3 lobes. Also light green in color.

Plant 12:
IMG_20120829_172342.jpg

Again, similar to 10&11, but slightly different.

Plant 13:
IMG_20120829_172404.jpg

One of the latest bloomers.

Plant 14:
IMG_20120829_172313.jpg

Bugs like this one for some reason. Note that the blossom end normally is just all of the wrinkles mushed together.

Plant 15:
IMG_20120829_172332.jpg

Looks like this one will ripen brown/red.

Plant 16:
IMG_20120829_172132.jpg

Looks like it's gonna ripen to a brown/red color. The pods are very bumpy.

Plant 17:
IMG_20120829_171938.jpg

Bumpy and almost yellow-green in color. Fatalli perhaps?

Plant 18:
IMG_20120829_171920.jpg

This one sits right next to plant 9, but it's slightly different both in plant growth and pod style. The ripened color is also more yellow than orange.

Plant 19:
IMG_20120829_190222.jpg

This one was small for a long time and was at risk of being taken over by one of my tomato plants. It finally caught up though.

I also have one more that just put out flowers this week (read: won't produce pods before the first frost), probably due to some heavy soil problems.

That puts my ajijoe count at 21 (I also have a variegated tricolor in a pot, but it's growing extremely slow...). :dance:

Small Update:

I'm pretty sure #9 & #18 are the same variety now. I cut a few up to try making some fermented pepper sauce. They have a very fruity smell, very close to a pineapple.

Plant #16 ripened orange. I'll get a picture soon.

Plant #19 is a baccatum. I looked through thechileman.org database and I didn't see one that looked similar, but I was just skimming. Maybe Joe can narrow it down with that info.

Probably about time for an update. I have a few that are ripened up.

IMG_20120928_215200.jpg

Top: Plant 15, one from my grandparents' garden, Plant 14
Bottom: Plant 13, Plant 10, and Plant 16

I'm pretty sure 15 is chocolate habanero.

The second one in the top row is peach colored, and hot as heck! I put one in an omelet and though I was gonna die (note: I have no tolerance... :mope: ). Maybe it's a habalokia or something?

The one from plant 14 is a really weird shaped pod. I've got no idea on that one. bunch of stinger pods and regular hab looking pods on that plant.

For the bottom, I think plant 13 might be a chocolate/brown congo?

Plant 10 is probably a Trinidad Scorpion of some sort (see pic below), although it is a very smooth pepper.
IMG_20120928_215212.jpg

Plant 16 I have no clue about. Naga Morich maybe? The peppers are small and dull in texture. I haven't tried one yet.

Hopefully more to come soon. Everything is starting to ripen up before we get a frost or freeze.

-Nate

looking great Nate by any chance are any of those from the mystery mix i sent??
YEAH!! it has been some time now what was keeping you??

first top left may be JAMAICAN HOT CHOCOLATE HAB (if it came from me)

the other brown looks like a CONGO BLACK HAB

dont know for sure but the yellow one looks like a YELLOW BHUT but most likely a FATALII

the red one bottom middle looks like a TRINIDAD SCORPION

the red PUMPKIN LOOKING one looks like a SAFI RED HAB

red ones to far bottom right are RED BHUTS

hope this was helpful

thanks your fried Joe

Hi Joe,
ALL of my supers are from you!

Sorry for the delay, things have been ripening slowly and I've been pretty busy, so I haven't been around the forums much.

I'd agree about the Jamaican Hot Chocolate, the black congo, The Trinidad, and the Safi Hab; but I'm not sure about the others.

The one you refer to as yellow is really peach in color (sorry my camera phone isn't very good). The other ones seem pretty small for Bhuts, but I haven't tried one so I really wouldn't know. They're kinda dull and remind me of gherkin pickles if they were hot peppers lol.

i thought so!~!

thats ok mine have slowed too and im not that far from you so i imagine our situations are not much different

if its peach it may be a peach habalokia or bhut?

pickles you say wow??

anyway looks good and im glad you like what i sent you it makes me feel good to know i helped

thanks your friend Joe

I got many from Joe and your top middle peach one looks like mine and so does your bottom first one they all came out of the same batch of seeds called Red Scorpanero #2 this is one of my favorites as it produced Peach (like yours largest of the bunch) red (shorter and the brown/choc which looks like your bottom first one...i even had one of the plants produce a off white color pod but a bug got it and the plant never produced another..i just picked one of each (the brown/choc to early as its color is a red/brown but if i had let it go it would be deep brown choc) the picture is some of the ones i got from Joe but the ones i am talking about is the first 6 peppers top row...hope this helps

058_zps45c62c17.jpg

Alright Folks, Here's a quick update:

To add to that discussion about the pod from plant 16, here it is sitting what I believe to be a bhut, which came off of a different plant; Plant 17.
IMG_20120929_194849.jpg

On top of that, here is a different one from Plant 11. Peach scorpion maybe? I'm not sure if they're completely ripe yet, but they are this color all the way 'round.
IMG_20121004_174625.jpg

My outdoor season will probably come to a close this weekend as they are predicting some cold spells and possibly a frost or a freeze (!) in the next few days. I hope to over winter a few of these, but my space is a bit limited, so we'll see what happens.

The cold just means its time for (minor league) hockey season! Woo!

-Nate

Alright Folks, Here's a quick update:

To add to that discussion about the pod from plant 16, here it is sitting what I believe to be a bhut, which came off of a different plant; Plant 17.
IMG_20120929_194849.jpg

On top of that, here is a different one from Plant 11. Peach scorpion maybe? I'm not sure if they're completely ripe yet, but they are this color all the way 'round.
IMG_20121004_174625.jpg

My outdoor season will probably come to a close this weekend as they are predicting some cold spells and possibly a frost or a freeze (!) in the next few days. I hope to over winter a few of these, but my space is a bit limited, so we'll see what happens.

The cold just means its time for (minor league) hockey season! Woo!

-Nate
yes nate you have about the most perfect PEACH TS I HAVE SEEN SO FAR!!
EVEN NICER THAN MINE!! :confused: :dance:

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE

Thanks, Joe. It's only because they came from such a good source. ;)

Plants made it through the Freeze/frost we had the past two nights, and there's one more to go on Friday before we're clear for a few days. I only have a few more that have yet to be identified that I really care about. I'm still curious as to what the small red bhut-ish one is. There's also two or three that haven't ripened yet so they haven't made an appearance here yet.

Hope everybody gets a few more weeks of growing in!

Thanks, Joe. It's only because they came from such a good source. ;)

Plants made it through the Freeze/frost we had the past two nights, and there's one more to go on Friday before we're clear for a few days. I only have a few more that have yet to be identified that I really care about. I'm still curious as to what the small red bhut-ish one is. There's also two or three that haven't ripened yet so they haven't made an appearance here yet.

Hope everybody gets a few more weeks of growing in!
thanks and when you need id just ask

thanks your friend Joe

Back