• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water Rain Water

Great i been saving some just wanted to make sure did not find to much info about using it to germ with but ill post my results !

Should be just fine.

Depending on your location in the world, the rain may be slightly to moderately acidic which could be an issue. But unless you are germinating strictly in the rain water without something to buffer the pH, you should be good to go.

I don't think I'll be collecting tokyo rain water for my plants. I'll end up with pepper-zilla!
When it rains it seriously pours. The sewerage/drainage system here is sometimes impressive!

I Guess i will just switch to bottled water dont want to take any chances i did ph the rain water it was about 8.4 but just to be in the safe il just switch.

Is Rain water safe and good for germinating seeds ?
Wow. This was a really ummmm how do I put this. "STUPID QUESTION" We all need to stop efen around with our seeds. Chuck them straight in the ground into fertile soil, water them as they need and leave them the hell alone. Plants were here before we came along . Sorry If I came across rude

I Guess i will just switch to bottled water dont want to take any chances i did ph the rain water it was about 8.4 but just to be in the safe il just switch.

Most nutrients, both macro and micro-nutrients, are available when the pH is in the range of 6.0-7.0. At 8.4, calcium, magnesium and a majority of minor nutrients are unavailable for the plant to uptake.

If you are using a peat based media, which tends to be acidic, to start your seeds in, it may be sufficiently acidic to buffer the pH of the rainwater you've saved and bring it into the 6.0-7.0 range.

You can test the combination very easily. Fill a pot with whatever you are starting your seed with and tape the holes except for one. Water it with your rain water. Catch the run off and measure the pH of that.

This will give you a good indication of what you have. Do three separate samples and average the numbers for a very accurate reading.

Commercial growers use this throughout the life of the plant to adjust pH and fertilizer amounts

Quick Update i planted the seeds on the 11th got my first two seedling come up i did switch to bottled water yesterday so well see how overall they do

Rainwater goood! Seriously. Rain has all kinds of nutrients in it that plants like. Bottled water will be, at best, equal to rain, and could be much worse. If you are using distilled water, the pH will be too low (acidic). If you are using spring water, there may be too many minerals, or too many salts.

PEPPERS WERE DESIGNED TO DRINK RAIN!

Do yourself a favour and use rainwater ... bottled water costs money and probably just bottled tap water put through a filtration system to take out some minerals and odour of chlorine... where did that tap water come from originally .... the rain .... seriously what waters plants in nature ... millions of bottles of water ???? Or the rain?? :rofl: I worry for the future of our planet ... what are we going to do with all those empty water bottles :rofl:

Penn and Teller got a bunch of enviro-whackos to sign a petition calling for the ban of dihydrogen monoxide.

The arrogance of humans. How did nature ever survive without us? Rain is good!

wow

Think for yourself. Question Authority

plants only need water for one thing.... hydration. Nutrients will come from the soil. Get good soil and good ferts. Don't worry about the water. The purer, the better, and rain water is as pure as you can get, pretty much. Unless you live in China or some other high pollution/smog area

The best thing you can do for your plants is plant them in compost. That will be the best source of nutrients. As far as germinating, I've done mine in tap water and it worked just fine.

Most nutrients, both macro and micro-nutrients, are available when the pH is in the range of 6.0-7.0. At 8.4, calcium, magnesium and a majority of minor nutrients are unavailable for the plant to uptake.

If you are using a peat based media, which tends to be acidic, to start your seeds in, it may be sufficiently acidic to buffer the pH of the rainwater you've saved and bring it into the 6.0-7.0 range.

You can test the combination very easily. Fill a pot with whatever you are starting your seed with and tape the holes except for one. Water it with your rain water. Catch the run off and measure the pH of that.

This will give you a good indication of what you have. Do three separate samples and average the numbers for a very accurate reading.

Commercial growers use this throughout the life of the plant to adjust pH and fertilizer amounts

that's just mean! lol

Back