• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rairdog's glog 2015 First smoke!

I will start of with the starting chamber I made.  It is basically a window box that is inside my deck greenhouse.  I also have aquaponic growbeds in the GH.  The fish tank is in the basement to keep fish through the winter.   I wanted to utilize the sun light and solar heat that the GH generates.  I can typically get a 50 deg increase on p. cloudy days and up to 70 deg increase on sunny days.  It is to cold to grow in for 18 hrs a day without heating.

Here is the chamber.  It has dropped to 45 with sub zero temps but usually stays between 55-60 at night and up to 90 on sunny days.

This makes it very easy to pull the plants out for some play time when GH is warm.

Here are the peppers.  They get morning and afternoon light from the T8 and sun the rest of the day for a total of 16 hrs. 

All plants were started in Optisorb DE.  I have very lightly fertilized with buffalo loam, maxicrop with iron, compost tea and shultz'.

View from inside the house.

Here is the heat mat for germinating and keeping the peppers warm since the chamber can drop to 55.  It is flexwatt tape and jumpstart thermostat.  I have 2 ft and 4 ft sections.

There is a fan in the window that kicks on at 75 in the GH to exchange air with the house.  It also keeps chamber from overheating and strenghtens plants.

Other veggies in DE

Don't feel bad for me....I knew this was the price to pay living on the river.   The floods have never hit during garden season in 12 years. 

There were 21 tomato cages out there.

Come on over and have a beer....bring your waders!

Hopefully the new raised garden will pull through.

I usually enjoy the flooding.  It's great to call of work and drink beer on the deck.  It is usually done by April.   First time it has wiped out my garden in 10 years so that part SUCKS!

Wow Jim.  Terrific bummer!  How long does it usually take to subside?  I hope you get someything out of your season!

What about your bees?

Mike

not good , so sorry to see that bro ! its been raining for a month 2nd. most in june ever . might break that tonight . do you have some chili's in your raised bed ? hang in their my friend .!     :onfire:

capsidadburn said:
Wow Jim.  Terrific bummer!  How long does it usually take to subside?  I hope you get someything out of your season!

What about your bees?

Mike
The bees are ok.  The pics are at peak water level today.   It will be down by tomorrow morning.  I think most of the gardens will pull through.  The 21 cages out in the common ground are done.  They were mostly new varieties of toms mixed with sweets that I wanted to try out.  Unfortunately that was their second dunk.  I might have time for pole beans and maybe cucs to start over if they don't pull through. 

The graphs from NOAA help me decide when to take action and how to manage and prepare.  Everything is designed to accommodate the floods house-wise.  That plateau at 19 is what I wanted to see.  Above 19 and prep changes. 

BigB said:
that blows, but looks like you can whip out that pontoon boat!
That is actually the neighbors.  The post is the property line.  My raised bed is on the line.  I wish she would clean up that mess of scrap.  I'm grandfathered in to property line with deck...long story. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Dislike, we got 5+ inches in a few hours yesterday and it sucked but nothing like that kind of sucking. 
It sucks for this time of year.  First time I have had to see it during garden season.

tctenten said:
Ohh man that sucks.   Sorry to see that, I guess that was from the storms that came through yesterday.   
Thank the local farmers for installing drain lines and the city for putting in bridges that choke the river with embankments.  The river had many places to flood and spread until someone paid the politicians to develop and push it out of their way.  

You've got an amazing attitude.  Very few people can lookout in their back yard and say, "well, that's how it rolls".

I'm glad some of your tomatoes pulled through!  Can't wait for mine to ripen :)

Fantastic glog, Jim!  So glad I stumbled upon it.  You accomplish so much - make's me feel incredibly lazy.

I just read the whole thing (like a novel you can't put down) and was heartbroken to see the floods.  However, judging from your accomplishments so far, I'm sure your gardens will be even more amazing next season.  You are obviously great at making the most your available assets.  Age sucks - I hear ya!
The mind says, "22" but the body chuckles, "59"!

I've been fascinated with bees for decades.  I'd love to have a hive but my wife is very allergic (I'd offer to buy a case of EpiPens along with the hive but I don't think she'd see the humor in that!) and would be scared to have so many bees so close.  I have an addicted friend who has grown into 16 hives (just added another when he had a swarm) and swears he'll add no more.  I don't believe him!

Keep up the good work.  I'll follow along.

turbo said:
You've got an amazing attitude.  Very few people can lookout in their back yard and say, "well, that's how it rolls".

I'm glad some of your tomatoes pulled through!  Can't wait for mine to ripen :)
Thanks!  It much better than it was before I raised the house...lol.   Imagine the stress of getting all your furniture off the floor, pulling the carpet to dry.....this is nothing!  Ok...I'm a little bummed about some ot the toms and pole beans.

cone9 said:
Fantastic glog, Jim!  So glad I stumbled upon it.  You accomplish so much - make's me feel incredibly lazy.

I just read the whole thing (like a novel you can't put down) and was heartbroken to see the floods.  However, judging from your accomplishments so far, I'm sure your gardens will be even more amazing next season.  You are obviously great at making the most your available assets.  Age sucks - I hear ya!
The mind says, "22" but the body chuckles, "59"!

I've been fascinated with bees for decades.  I'd love to have a hive but my wife is very allergic (I'd offer to buy a case of EpiPens along with the hive but I don't think she'd see the humor in that!) and would be scared to have so many bees so close.  I have an addicted friend who has grown into 16 hives (just added another when he had a swarm) and swears he'll add no more.  I don't believe him!

Keep up the good work.  I'll follow along.

Bees are very fun.  I just had another swarm a couple days ago from the first swarm I cought.  I was out on the deck and they were in flight.  I chased them down the street but they were too fast.  Oh well.  I didn't want another hive anyway.  They can be free and repopulate the woods.

I was waiting for some super color before updating but the stall is on.  Here are some random shots of the bee garden.

Monarda in full swing

Purple cone

Red cone

Forget this one...Missy picked it out.  It was supposed to be done after spring but came back with the cool weather.

Speaking of cool weather....my mums are already flowering

Augustache

Shasta's

The hots...Pimenta Lisa

This was labeled as Naga Morich....I think it might be a Yellow Tobago which was the previous one on the list.  The one above it has same pheno?

The plant next to it is also a Naga and looks more true.....or I just mislabeled the first one.

Cukes and toms are coming in.  Hopefully next update will have some supers with color. 

Jim, Not sure what that first one (called Naga) is? Not really like the Tobago's I grow either. The P. Lisa will not be very hot, but good mild flavor.

Everything looks great! Will be watching for ripening's and tastes.

capsidadburn said:
Jim, Not sure what that first one (called Naga) is? Not really like the Tobago's I grow either. The P. Lisa will not be very hot, but good mild flavor.

Everything looks great! Will be watching for ripening's and tastes.

It was #11 on my list Naga Morich.  #10 was Yellow Tobago.  Missy was putting #'rd tags on after I put them in the ground so I thought she might have got off by 1.    There were some pics on googly of similar shapes with the Tabago.  It's huge and pretty so we will see.

The P. Lisa is still one of my favs just for the color.  I was thinking of overwintering one to see how big it will get the following year.  I know you really liked the Yellow Tobago so that was another OW on my list.  Any other OW suggestions?

Heck...the immature green Inca Red Drops are lighting me up.  I am afraid what the gnarly, bumpy colored up ones will bring.   

Most of the garden's are making a comeback.  I have to use the bee suit due to the mosquito's...lol

A few tom's from today....cracked, ugly and watered down but still pretty good tasting.  Cuc's are just getting started.

Some big Cherokee Purple's

Fijita's made with garden peppers and onions help ease the pain of a crappy year.

Rairdog said:
Fijita's made with garden peppers and onions help ease the pain of a crappy year.

I'm curious, what sort of tray are you using? It looks like you're making them on a grill, I really want to try that out now.

Comptine said:

I'm curious, what sort of tray are you using? It looks like you're making them on a grill, I really want to try that out now.

It's a reversible cast iron griddle on the top shelf of the grill...Lodge I think.  Brush with oil and preheat.  I start the veggies first, move them to the back and put on the meat.  Keep everything in a single layer and spread to avoid steaming and promote browning.   Then mix them up.  Good luck and thanks for looking!

Great attitude Jim, you are giving me inspiration, I'm not geographically far from you and my gardens are in shambles. All this rain, hail, wind, and heat has taken it's toll. I had a large apple tree fall and destroy 50 tomato plants and cages and around 75 peppers. The tree was quite mature and loaded with fruit, very sad to loose it, those bees sure do their job! I might be able to salvage something out of my largest garden but everything is very stressed. I've been too depressed to take photos, this summer has been a beast here in Indiana. Love your glog and wonderful photos, and very happy to hear your bees are o.k. I'm hoping for a dry week, seeing  such a large number of mature trees down is a sorry sight. Mosquitos!!!, the bee suit is a great idea, I'll try it.. This is the roughest growing season I can remember here in Indiana. Your tomatoes and cukes look pretty darn good and those fajitas are making me hungry! 

Thanks Sandra!  The last round of storms/wind missed us for the most part.  Most of the grass has been under water for over a month and I can't mow much area.  Bummer about the apple tree and your garden.  Luckily a couple of my garden spots have been productive and made it through.  It has been depressing and hard to get motivated to take pics and weed.  Then when I go out the mosquito's are unbearable all day.  It was funny watching me spray tomato's/cukes for septoria/powdery mildew with the bee suit on while Missy pumped the smoker.  It worked like a charm but a little hot.  Lately I just make a quick dash to harvest and back in before they figure out I'm there.

Picked the first 3 supers today!

The mystery Naga Morich

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia......I probably should of let it ripen more?

Yellow Barrackpore.   This one was a dink compareed the the rest coming in.

I might need a bigger box if I'm going to send some free pods out.

Back