Rairdog's Shanks on sale 1.27 $/lb

Rairdog said:

This one doesn't have the strong banana like the last one at 68-70.  It seems more like paulaner when I tasted the fg before kegging.   It didn't blow out the top like the other ferment either. 

One thing I didn't account for brewing on the deck.  Fall leaves are flowing.  If one lands in my cooled wort I'm gonna be po'ed.

Loaded with colonies of bacteria and especially fungus, too ... many of which require pressure on top of temperature to kill ;)

That said ... I bought a 100 qt cooler and a giant BIAB bag for it last night ...

I already had 6 and 12" bazooka's on hand, so it was pretty inexpensive ...

I may setup an outdoor rig to use for the next 4-5 months ... we'll see!

tctenten said:
I will check that out, and I would love to try some of  your honey.  I can paypal you or we can figure something else out.  

What I have been doing is sending out stuff for close to shipping cost.  Then you send me an eGift for my LHBS.  They are in 10 dollar increments.  You just put my email addy when you purchase.  Then I have winter beer money.  We are not set up for paypal receiving. 

Rairdog said:

What I have been doing is sending out stuff for close to shipping cost.  Then you send me an eGift for my LHBS.  They are in 10 dollar increments.  You just put my email addy when you purchase.  Then I have winter beer money.  We are not set up for paypal receiving. 

Sounds good to me….just let me know how and when.  

grantmichaels said:

Loaded with colonies of bacteria and especially fungus, too ... many of which require pressure on top of temperature to kill ;)

That said ... I bought a 100 qt cooler and a giant BIAB bag for it last night ...

I already had 6 and 12" bazooka's on hand, so it was pretty inexpensive ...

I may setup an outdoor rig to use for the next 4-5 months ... we'll see!

I can move it to the screen porch or GH which are 5 ft away but the WC discharge is too short and would make a mess.

35 qts/8.75 gal.  I can get 5.5 g and 10-12 lbs grain no problem with plenty of headroom.  Then sparge with 2.25-3 g.

Missed my OG....see Wheebz.

Rairdog said:
35 qts/8.75 gal.  I can get 5.5 g and 10-12 lbs grain no problem with plenty of headroom.  Then sparge with 2.25-3 g.

Missed my OG....see Wheebz.

I'm not going to respond in Wheebz thread, but ...

I think if you are going to add a simple sugar to the beer, too, that you want to do it later in the fermentation so the yeasties don't switch over to sucrose and ignore the maltose etc ... so you probably have time =)

This is separate from your primary concern - but the partially covered "problem" is that it invariably lean back into the kettle such that the condensation runs back in - and that's a big DMS no-no ...

grantmichaels said:

I'm not going to respond in Wheebz thread, but ...

I think if you are going to add a simple sugar to the beer, too, that you want to do it later in the fermentation so the yeasties don't switch over to sucrose and ignore the maltose etc ... so you probably have time =)

This is separate from your primary concern - but the partially covered "problem" is that it invariably lean back into the kettle such that the condensation runs back in - and that's a big DMS no-no ...

I knew it was a no-no.   Worried a leaf would blow in.  From what I read your are right about adding honey after ferment starts.  1 lb of raw honey should add 7 points to a 5 gal batch. 

Rairdog said:

I knew it was a no-no.   Worried a leaf would blow in.  From what I read your are right about adding honey after ferment starts.  1 lb of raw honey should add 7 points to a 5 gal batch. 

I think I recall that Wheebz rec's table sugar and not dextrose or otherwise, but I could be conflating this scenario with that of priming for bottling so YMMV ...

Since there's no hurry, I'm sure he'll respond ...

I have been wanting to add some of my honey anyway since I have 10 lbs sitting around and it would work well with this recipe.  If I had to go buy some honey then the sugar or DME would probably be a better choice.  I thought about priming a keg with honey.  Like you said, no hurry.

Just picked up some grains to do my next 2 - 5.5 gal batches.

The first one is kinda my tweak of various recipes of what I wanted in a Dunkeweizen.  Most use pils/wheat and a dark grain.  I went with a Munnich/Vienna for some malty mouth feel and a little higher on the wheat.  

Dunkelweizen
All Grain Recipe - Dunkelweizen ::: 1.053/1.012 (5.5 Gal) Just guessing here.
Grain Bill

6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
2 lb. - Munich Malt
2 lb. - Vienna Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Chocolate Malt
Grain lbs 10.75 lbs

Hop Schedule (15 IBU)
1 oz -  Hallertau (60 Min.)
Yeast
WY 3068 from slurry and starter 1500ml
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Total water    7.85gal
Mash water    5.5 gal     Strike temp 160f
Mash at 151°-154° for 60 min.
Sparge water    2.35gal    Sparge temp 170f
Boil for 60 minutes (remember to compensate your water if you normally do 60 min boils)
Cool and ferment at 64° to 70°

The other is their PDG Kit which is an awesome kit for 23 bucks and the best APA I have made.  First one was Ext however...this one is AG

9 lbs 2 row
  .38 lb Munnich
  .38 Cyrstal 20L
  .38 White Wheat
  .25 Carpapils
  .13 Aromatic

0.50 oz. Centennial hops, added 45 min from the end of the boil
0.5 oz. Simcoe hops, added 30 min from the end of the boil
0.50 oz. Warrior hops, added 15 min from the end of the boil
1.00 oz. Cascade hops, added 5 min from the end of the boil

Grant, regarding growing hops and AA.  The best option seems to be using a commercial one with given AA for initial 60 min bittering.  The rest is just will be just experimenting with the fresh smell.  I was planning on Cascade and Chinook.  I need one more.  Then I will do some SMaSH'es with 2 row or MO to get an idea of the flavor profile. 

My last Hefe at day 12.  It is only getting better but hasn't peaked.  Cheers!

Rairdog said:
Grant, regarding growing hops and AA.  The best option seems to be using a commercial one with given AA for initial 60 min bittering.  The rest is just will be just experimenting with the fresh smell.  I was planning on Cascade and Chinook.  I need one more.  Then I will do some SMaSH'es with 2 row or MO to get an idea of the flavor profile.

That's kind of what I was getting at, and what I planned to do here with the dry one's I have from FB ...

Since I don't know what AA they are, I figured to use them for flavor/aroma/dry-hopping ...

:cheers:

PS - Beer looks great!

I can get good crowns out of MI which will give a good head start over rhizomes.  The result will be a Dead RemGrant, a 1010 Hefe and an Dark Lord Ozz.....lol.  Hopefully I will have some to hops share. 

Now is a perfect time for a canoe trip.  You can go 6 miles up river and canoe back to house.  It's mostly gravel bars and small rapids.  The slow stretches are like going through a tunnel of trees in full color. 

Bundled up

Starter....last of my 3068 second gen.  I will probably save the slurry from this batch. 

I washed this batch after sitting in the fridge for a month with boiled/chilled water.  Then built it up.  It has the banana...

Time to go pull the bag and sparge.

Back