• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Raising lacto bacilius

i don't believe this method of creating lactobacilli will give you the type of starter culture you want...... i could be completely wrong.

once you start the pepper fermentation process it is naturally going to produce the proper LAB that you can use for future starting cultures.

i have both a pepper ferment and a sauerkraut, though both will contain lactobacillus, i believe the species or strain may be different. my pepper ferment neither tastes nor smells like my sauerkraut. just as both don't resemble yogurt.

i have prepared a serum using this technique and it is in my fridge, it smells like feta cheese, thus the curd that i had to scrap from the surface after the milk fermented. this product i will use as a foliar spray and root spray when i pot up my plants. i won't drink it nor put it down my sink to relieve clogs though it may help and there is no way it can be used as an airspray to remove orders.....unless i want the house to smell like feta cheese!

here is an article you may wish read:
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/lactics_3.html

good reading and good luck.

Howletzer1 said:

Burning Colon said:

here is an article you may wish read:
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/lactics_3.html

good reading and good luck.

I found both to be very interesting and informative. I really hadn't thought about the use of Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB) as a form of Mycos in soil prep or as a Foliar spray / Root Drench but it actually makes great sense and I'll be looking into it further.

So far as what LAB to use in fermenting peppers, I've been reading a lot about how to develop a strain and keep it going to be used as a starter for vegetable ferments.
Here's some of what I've found:

1.  The Rice Starch mentioned in the video is very good for holding your LAB for extended periods in the refrigerator. I've also found that adding. up to 25% of total, Coconut Water in beneficial as a supplemental source for carbon.

2. Perhaps the best medium for building your starter, and this comes from hacking my way through multiple highly technical articles that would make really good sleep aids :) would be the combination of Tofu Whey and Coconut Water (yep it's vegan safe), their being ingredients that are readily available to anyone.

The most used was MRS Agar and other than working at a biological research laboratory or knowing how to make your own would be beyond our reach. Not to mention that it is a rather solid gel and not really workable as a growth medium for fermenting sauces.

3.  The three forms of LAB that are best for fermenting vegetables are:

Lactobacillus Plantarum - available from Sauerkraut and Sourdough Starter
Leuconostoc Mesenteroides - available from Sauerkraut
Pediococcus Acidilactici - available from Tofu Whey

All of these are most likely on the skin of the vegetables going into the ferment but are also available in probiotic form and can be reconstituted to bring to life. These are the 3 type that focus on vegetable matter and the use of other LAB, according to one report I read will lead to the LAB fighting for control of the ferment. LAB from Milk ferments, including Yogurt, Kefir, Cheese, etc... Whey will lead to off flavors in the ferment giving them a Cheesy flavor. This mostly coming from the creation of dicatyle which imparts a buttery flavor to whatever it's in.  This is good to know though as it allows us to play with the ferments by using different LAB. We have the ability to use these off flavors to add the different flavors to sauces.

Interesting is how they work together, the short story being that one of them works quickly to bring the ph down to around 5.0 and to pump out CO2 so that any bad bacteria have less of a chance to take hold as they are affected by Ph and require O2 . The next one works a bit slower to consume the available carbohydrates and make Lactic Acid bringing the Ph down still further and the last one kicks in to finish lowering the Ph and to age the mash.

Good luck and great ferments!
RM

Thanks guys!......I have been a member of THP for over six months now........I have chosen to read and learn before I dive into adding a starter to my ferment.........thanks to you guys ,I know what I am doing.

Back