• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Random facts

Historical fact: The Treaty of Versailles had 440 clauses in it, 414 of which were specifically written to punish Germany

SadisticPeppers said:
Medical fact: Colorblindness is far more common in men than women. It is present in some form in 7% of men, but only 0.1% of women
The gene responsible for seeing red is found on the X chromosome. Both sexes have the same chance of missing one, but women have a backup. So women need to be missing both of them. However, this means that 7% of women see the world the way the average man does instead of the greater sensitivity to differences like most women do. It is nearly impossible to test if a woman has the male spectrum or the normal female spectrum though.
-
Tetrachromacy is something else. Not exclusive to women.

If everyone on THP voted for Lucky Dog Hot Sauce it would be a big winner!!!!!!!!!!

And "That's a Fact JACK"!! Remember to vote!!

Religious fact: Among Orthodox Jews, it is believed that a new bride starts from a clean slate, and the act of marriage cleanses her from any past sexual transgressions

Divorce fact: In 50% of divorce cases in Italy, legal documents say that WhatsApp Messenging services are a contributing factor.

Animal fact: When an octopus hatches, it is approximately the same size as a flea

Psychological fact: The colors yellow and orange, when viewed are known to increase appetite, and so some interior decorators actively avoid painting the kitchen in either color.

Word fact: The longest word in the English language with only one vowel in it is "strengths".

Historical fact: The shortest war on record lasted 38 minutes, between Great Britain and the island nation of Zanzibar

Dictator fact: In 2002, Saddam Hussein chose the Arabic translation of Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" as his campaign's theme song

Chemical fact: By itself, water is not a good conductor of electricity. It is the dissolved trace minerals that largely conduct the electricity.

Historical fact #2: The concept of shaking hands grew from the concept of proving that two people were unarmed when meeting each other.

SadisticPeppers said:

Psychological fact: The colors yellow and orange, when viewed are known to increase appetite, and so some interior decorators actively avoid painting the kitchen in either color.
It's a bad thing that peppers are that color then, isn't it?

Word fact: the word "lava" is derived from the Italian word "lavare" which translates as "to wash away", and referred to how lava had a tendency to wash away anything in its path.

Medical fact: Prior to Asprin, people would chew on the bark of white willow trees (where the active ingredient in Aspirin is derived) to alleviate pain and fever.

Celebrity fact: Elvis was such a huge fan of Monty Python, he'd often act out their skits in front of his close friends

Language fact: Over 1,000 languages are spoken in Africa

Building fact: It is illegal for airplanes to fly over the Taj Mahal

Word fact: "Canada" is derived from the Inuit word meaning "Big Village"

Statistical fact: Over half of all bank robberies take place on a Friday, since most companies pay their employees on a Friday

Bad law fact: In Baltimore, it is illegal to was a sink, no matter how dirty it is.

Historical fact: Despite modern images of poverty, until the 17th century, India was the richest country in the world... when Britain invaded.

Geography fact: There is no place in the state of Michigan that is more than 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes.

Irony fact: The Guinness Book of World records holds the record for the book most often pilfered from libraries

Medical fact: It is almost a medical impossibility to have both reactive hypoglycemia and type II diabetes at the same time, as the disorders are considered mutually exclusive

Automotive fact: The largest fleet of taxis is in Mexico City, with a total of over 60,000 taxis

Animal fact: Giraffes and rats can live longer without water than camels

State fact: In Arizona, it is illegal to hunt camels

Well crap. I knew that AZ camel license I bought was too good of a deal!

I suppose that waterfront property is bogus now too.   :mope:

But awesome Random Fact Burp SP!!!!!  :D

I'm not sure if these laws are still on the books, but ...

In Portland Oregon it is illegal to go to the bathroom while wearing rollerskates

In Klamath Falls Oregon it is illegal to kick the heads of snakes when they poke them up between boards on the boardwalk.

Television fact: When Bryan Singer was casting for the titular role of Gregory House in the medical drama House MD, he was adamant on casting an American actor. When he viewed Hugh Laurie's audition tape (which Laurie filmed in a hotel bathroom while he was on-location in Namibia for the remake of "Flight of the Phoenix"), Laurie's American accent was so convincing that Singer declared Laurie to be just the kind of compelling American actor he was looking for. He was completely unaware that Laurie is, in fact, British, and widely known in the UK as a comedic actor on such shows as Blackadder and his comedic collaborations with fellow Brit Stephen Fry.

In fact, Laurie maintained his American accent at all times while on the set of House, even between takes, and few people ever heard him with his natural British accent. Laurie admitted that there were some medical terms he found especially difficult to pronounce with the accent.

SadisticPeppers said:
Animal fact: A study was conducted as to what effect music had on termites. Researchers discovered that termites eat twice as fast when heavy metal music is playing, and still have yet to figure out why.

The metalhead termites are recreational smokers, they get the munchies.

Geography fact: 5 of the 10 largest freshwater lakes are located in Canada.

Canine fact: The only breed of dog specifically mentioned by name in the Bible was the greyhound.

Paleontology fact: Fossilized footprints found of the Argentinosaurus were so large, some small settlements in Argentina used them as community barbecue pits.

Presidential weather fact: Ronald Reagan holds the distinction of having both the warmest and coldest inauguration on record. His first inauguration, the temperature was 55 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas for his second inauguration, the temperature was only 7 degrees Fahrenheit.

Lunar fact: Because the moon's surface receives the full blast of the sun's ultraviolet radiation due to its lack of an atmosphere, many scientists agree that all the US flags planted there have been bleached white.

Biblical fact: There was no explicit mention of exactly how many wise men came to visit the infant Jesus. Scholars only settled on the number 3 because that's how many presents were given; gold, frankinscence and myrrh.

Research fact: Researchers at Beth Israel Medical Center in 2007 discovered that doctors who play video games 3+ hours a week tended to make better surgeons.

Food fact: Both the flesh and pit of avocados are highly toxic to most bird species

Geology fact: Due to its growth from plate tectonics, people who clime Mt. Everest today stand 27 inches higher than Edmund Hillary did when he became the first person to reach the summit.

Video Game fact: Nintendo's mascot, Mario, received his name because the man who owned the Nintendo of America's headquarters building and leased it to the company, was named Mario. Prior to that, the character was only named Jumpman.

Automotive fact: Not only do taillights have to be red in the US, it's a specific shade of red with a specific wavelength, which is mandated by federal law.

Crime fact: Approximately half of all victims of identity theft have met the person who stole their identity, because it was usually a friend, acquaintence, relative or neighbor

Literary fact: Before either one was discovered and confirmed by telescopes, Johnathan Swift correctly predicted that Mars had two small moons in his novel "Gulliver's Travels", naming them Phobos & Deimos (after the Greek goddesses of Fear and Strife), and even correctly predicted their exact speed and rotation.

12 beers is more Like an emergency stash.

Only,IF and when you are unable to hit up the store for what you might usually keep on hand.

Hope you aren't under the weather.

Starting out a day with ONLY 12 brews...gotta be under some kind of stress. :)

EDIT
I missed the Drama Queen Crown....

You might be trolling for free beer... LOL

Drama might work in a Beer bar,My chick left me,took all my $, She kicked my dog on the way out the door (broke his ribs-cost me every cent I had at the Vets.)I'm in pain....Bro can ya buy me a beer?

Um.... not even gonna say it.

But anyway, here's a beer fact for you: The first beermaking pots were discovered in what is now Iran, which they determined contained fermenting beer because of the characteristic patina on the inside of the jars, which modern beermakers have also had to contend with. Also, there have been more than a few statuettes discovered in Iran, Egypt and elsewhere, which show ancient breweries were run and staffed by women, and brewing beer was associated as a woman's profession.

In fact, archaeological evidence shows that part of the workers' wages (besides daily bread rations and tax breaks for them and their families) were paid in beer as compensation for building most of the great structures of Egypt, including the Great Pyramid, and in general, drinking beer was seen as preferable to drinking regular water, since the fermentation process killed off any pathogens in the water that would otherwise make people sick. Children in fact, were given a "watered" down (no pun intended) beer with a lower alcohol content to drink every day, and began drinking the full beer in their late teens. This is why many European countries permit drinking at the age of 18, as a carryover from this.

Fact or NOT...

I've read that I.P.A. was also part of England's Exports - a way of keeping the workers AND soldiers happy.
Along with Rations of Rum.
I guess it depended on trade routes.

From what I've read,they walked the line between a happy,slightly buzzed workers or Sailor or whatever.
There were people who traded their rations.
Made for a few mean an nasty drunks at times...
I've read that a few mutinies were caused by the Captains cutting off Rum or Beer rations for however long.
I guess a beer or shot back then was something the people looked forward to at the time.
Probably like what I read about Pruno and bread being brewed in prisons.

Most stuff I google sucks in general , breweries making IPA's, their history.
It's about modern breweries now.

If I remember right shipping Ale overseas in the old days caused a lack of taste in the barrels of beer.
Beer broke down to be crap.
Adding more hops preserved the flavor of the beer taste wise and has preservatives in the hops that also stabelised the beer after rocking around in a boat for months etc. at different temps.

It was an early quality control.

Back