• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Random Garden Photo Thread

Raised bed 1 of 2.  On the left row, I have corn seeds planted.  Next to that is lettuce.  Then final two rows are strawberries.  The ones I planted last year are taking off, the smaller ones are the starts I put in this year.
2014-05-05%2008.23.30.jpg

A few of the MANY strawberries starting to form:
2014-05-05%2008.24.12.jpg

Raised bed #2.  I just got done planting seeds for zucchini and green beans this weekend.  I also have spinach and peas going on the top left:
2014-05-05%2008.24.36.jpg

Closer view of the spinach and peas:
2014-05-05%2008.24.55.jpg

We did some flower planting yesterday in our landscape.  The two small bushes you see are dwarf blueberry bushes.  I have to get a soil sample analyzed of the one without leaves.  It's still alive, nice green branches, but it refuses to put out any leaves.
2014-05-05%2008.25.54.jpg

I'm pretty proud of this big guy hybrid jalapeño from Burpee seeds. I topped it when it was about a foot tall.

14588850391_ff9a3257bb_k.jpg

14569113696_ad9a431fdd_k.jpg

From left to right.... mystery red I got from Smiley Guy, Fatalii, also from Smiley Guy, and tabasco is the tall one. Next to that is sweet basil that I've already cut back, dried and flaked

14405501000_5ab7036289_k.jpg

This yellow scorpion is struggling. I just topped a couple of the branches this evening

14590264014_8da1541edc_k.jpg

some shots of the flowers

I like flowers

3 year old angel wing begonia

20140705_202522_zpsbljbqqby.jpg

7 year old geranium.  clip dried flowers and three more clusters pop up all summer
20140705_202429_zpsl8om4oem.jpg

20140705_202352_zps9zpvxai1.jpg

petunias
20140705_202200_zpshhdt8jsk.jpg

first year dahlia...it got "weeded" by someone who didn't know what it was but I rescued it.  Can't wait to see how big the blooms get next year
20140705_201956_zpsajrzcedh.jpg

day lilies that are in the same spot where the irises are that I posted previously.  Iris in the spring, lily in the summer :D  I forgot to mention that those Irises are probably about 50+ years old, they came from my mom's childhood home. Not sure how old the lilies are but at least 5 years.

20140705_201810_zpsoocwmsw2.jpg

Very nice! I wish our hydrangeas looked as good as those begonias!
Our freeze last winter (polar vortex...ha!) killed off very few of our flowers, surprisingly. I only had to replace the hibiscus. Even the birds of paradise survived, but they're extremely stunted this year. Oh... and it killed our false cactus, too. I really liked that cactus. :(

Our epiphyllum, on the other hand, is doing phenomenally well! It was choked off by competing fern in the same pot, but this year, it looks like it won the battle. The fern hasn't come back, and the epi is three times as big as it was. But we did bring that one inside with the plumerias for the freezes

Buzz said:
Very nice! I wish our hydrangeas looked as good as those begonias!
Our freeze last winter (polar vortex...ha!) killed off very few of our flowers, surprisingly. I only had to replace the hibiscus. Even the birds of paradise survived, but they're extremely stunted this year. Oh... and it killed our false cactus, too. I really liked that cactus. :(

Our epiphyllum, on the other hand, is doing phenomenally well! It was choked off by competing fern in the same pot, but this year, it looks like it won the battle. The fern hasn't come back, and the epi is three times as big as it was. But we did bring that one inside with the plumerias for the freezes
the begonia and the geranium get overwintered, they get cut back like you would a pepper and allowed to go dormant...I have a second year hibiscus in the ground that hasn't quite started blooming yet, I'm surprised it's still alive because during the vortex we got -5ºF here.  That morning I remember snapping off the window handle in my truck when I tried to roll it down to smoke a cigarette...was like "wow that just happened".  I'll get pictures very soon.  You can barely see some of its leaves in the shot with the dahlia.  The japanese beetles have been feasting on it quite ravenously but it's still pumping out buds.  We had to replace a bunch of rose bushes this year, we're not sure if the vortex got them or a blight.  One that's still kicking is about 7 years old.  The iris bulbs since they're so old every year get bigger flowers, and the patterns on the blooms get more intricate.  Almost none of them look the same, if you look in the picture in #25 you can see a stark white one in the back.  I'm actually getting into wild nightshades a little bit and I'm probably going to use some cold-hardy ones as decorative plants since there aren't any kids here.  I've been considering getting some belladonnas but I would want to build a cage to keep birds out of it to prevent naturalization.  And dead birds.

Buzz said:
I'm pretty proud of this big guy hybrid jalapeño from Burpee seeds. I topped it when it was about a foot tall.

14588850391_ff9a3257bb_k.jpg

14569113696_ad9a431fdd_k.jpg

From left to right.... mystery red I got from Smiley Guy, Fatalii, also from Smiley Guy, and tabasco is the tall one. Next to that is sweet basil that I've already cut back, dried and flaked

14405501000_5ab7036289_k.jpg

This yellow scorpion is struggling. I just topped a couple of the branches this evening

14590264014_8da1541edc_k.jpg
How old is that burpee jalapeno ?hp

MeatHead1313 said:
Beautiful flower Ocho! Do these passion flowers produce fruit? They look remarkably similar to the passionfruit vines that were growing wild when my parents moved into their house back in Australia. Great tasting fruit if so.
 Yes, they do produce edible fruits. These have a somewhat sour, lemony citrus taste.

Ocho Cinco said:
Yes, they do produce edible fruits. These have a somewhat sour, lemony citrus taste.
Yep sounds the same as what I'm used to from back home. Definitely need to grow them next season, the only place u can find the fruits here is at work and they want $3 per fruit.

MeatHead1313 said:
Yep sounds the same as what I'm used to from back home. Definitely need to grow them next season, the only place u can find the fruits here is at work and they want $3 per fruit.

If you remind me at the end of summer I'll see if I can send some fruits to you. 

This is one of my favorite flowers. I'm not 100% sure what it is called. It's an Angel's Trumpet?, Datura?, Brugmansia?. 
I've been growing and saving seed from these for about four years.

Attachments

• Angel's Trumpet2.JPG
    Angel's Trumpet2.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 43
Back