• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Rats with hooves...

For the past two weeks every single day I've seen a dead deer on the side of the road on my way home from work, probably 12 deer in total on an 8 mile stretch of road. I had just mentioned this to a friend day before yesterday & said I figured it was just a matter of time til I smashed one. Well, that time damn near came yesterday:

Missed it by inches. Makes me miss my big ass truck with a grill guard. If I still had that thing I'd have hit the gas instead of the brakes.

Edit:

In case anyone is wondering I have this dash cam from DX.com. DVR 027

Found it on this website & it's the best bang for your buck unless you need advanced features. Vid quality during the day is great but not the best at night. Can't complain for <$60 though.

Where we live in the Methow Valley, there are two kinds of drivers...those who have hit a deer, and those who are going to hit a deer...

Everyone says "it's only a matter of time"... both hubby and I have hit deer.

Where we live in the Methow Valley, there are two kinds of drivers...those who have hit a deer, and those who are going to hit a deer...

Everyone says "it's only a matter of time"... both hubby and I have hit deer.

Haha I've hit a deer already back when I was in high school. Or should I say the deer hit me. Ran straight into the side of my car, destroying the front quarter panel. Had my window down & as it rolled down the side of my car the deer's head hit inside the door leaving hair stuck in the gasket like literally inches from my face. Scared the crap out of me. And the f**ker had the gall to get up and run off into the woods after totaling my car (it was a pretty shitty car since I was 17). I was hoping I at least got some venison out of the deal but all I got was a $500 deductible.

sad shame if it does happen and your car gets damaged, for the most part it cant be avoided, but as long as the deer isn't in too bad of shape well then Bon Appetite pardner :dance: , it happens very often here in PA around where i am,we have too many too, if your able to salvage some meat it would make awesome jerky, deer jerky is one of my top favorite foods,and an excellent way of utilizing an animal that damaged your vehicle, we do that around here all the time,and when we keep things on the level which is the wise thing to do, we contact the game commission and they let us have the animal,oh yes you can make sausage and burger too, and of coarse if the animal is in real good shape steaks,chops and BACKSTRAP!! :woohoo:

thanks your friend Joe

wow you must live over in the hill country.. when i lived in round rock i never even saw a single deer

Currently living in Belton which is most definitely right in the heart of the hill country. The deer in the video is on loop 121 right past the Bell County expo center. Still working in Austin though, this commute sucks.

sad shame if it does happen and your car gets damaged, for the most part it cant be avoided, but as long as the deer isn't in too bad of shape well then Bon Appetite pardner :dance: , it happens very often here in PA around where i am,we have too many too, if your able to salvage some meat it would make awesome jerky, deer jerky is one of my top favorite foods,and an excellent way of utilizing an animal that damaged your vehicle, we do that around here all the time,and when we keep things on the level which is the wise thing to do, we contact the game commission and they let us have the animal,oh yes you can make sausage and burger too, and of coarse if the animal is in real good shape steaks,chops and BACKSTRAP!! :woohoo:

thanks your friend Joe

I love venison. I'll be getting a bit of .243 caliber revenge come November.
lWTzRdC.gif

I'm still eating on the sausage from last year but you better believe the backstrap is LONG gone.

Currently living in Belton which is most definitely right in the heart of the hill country. The deer in the video is on loop 121 right past the Bell County expo center. Still working in Austin though, this commute sucks.

I love venison. I'll be getting a bit of .243 caliber revenge come November.
lWTzRdC.gif

I'm still eating on the sausage from last year but you better believe the backstrap is LONG gone.
im looking to get a little 3006 Springfield revenge myself in December
there's nothing like having deer in the freezer especially since my wife wont touch the stuff, :woohoo: more for me!! :onfire:

thanks your friend joe

Happened to a friend of mine with an Elk about 3 months ago. He was up in the mountains in Idaho, driving a Big Rig 18 wheeler. Lots of damage and lots of, errr, bodily emissions from both my friend AND the Elk. Not pretty.

they wander through our yard daily. I had to brake for one on the way home tonight.

A while back there was a salvage program set up for road kill deer in our area. As I understand it, there was conflict with the state, hunters, and Indian tribe members who would hunt anything and everything anytime of the year. They came to an agreement where road kill deer could be "poacher butchered" for the choice pieces, which would be given to the tribes in exchange for their not hunting anything/everything/anytime. State Patrol would call local volunteers who would take care of the carcass and meat. I'm not sure if it's still going on, but it seemed to be a win-win.

Damn that was close

I have never hit one but have come very close a few times. My uncle is a game warden, he used to call me when he would get a mistake kill or one that was hit by a car if it wasnt in to bad a shape. All Ihad to do was drive over to his place about 10 mins away, pick it up and it was mine. Loved it. He would give me all the papwerwork I needed to take it to the butchers

We have a huge hooved rodent problem in my area, too. Every now and then they even authorize people to go into the national park that's fairly close by to hunt them. Creates a huge uproar. Yeah, I get that some people don't eat meat, etc., but they should also respect those of us who do. Plus, it helps reduce the number of car-deer accidents for a very short period, not to mention the razing of people's gardens. Seriously, in my immediate neighborhood, the houses are so close together there's only room for the driveway and a strip of grass just big enough to put a small mower to it. I can't imagine a deer even wanting to come into this neighborhood, but they certainly do in droves.

Back