• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

off-topic Reactions replaced discussion?

Just an observation. Is it just me? I see a lot of content and no discussion. I was out of the seen for a couple years and seems times have changed. Not the same energy as it was when I joined in 2014. Feels more like a social media site than a discussion forum. We always have had the like button. I think something has changed with the reaction option. Like I said, I guess times are changing and I’m getting old. Not bitching just an observation.

Still enjoy the site and thanks for all that post!

There's a blog I frequent that recently added +/- reactions - I NEVER use those. It's a very active blog with a lot of discussion. I figure if I have a response of some sort, especially disagreement, I'll say it. If I can't express why, then I shouldn't be having that strong of an opinion.

Around here I mainly use "like" or "haha" to express acknowledgement where I really have nothing else to say, or that a comment or picture made me laugh.

In "the old days" of BBS's those would have elicited :) or the like as a reply, but then that was really the only option we had.

There's a blog I frequent that recently added +/- reactions - I NEVER use those. It's a very active blog with a lot of discussion. I figure if I have a response of some sort, especially disagreement, I'll say it. If I can't express why, then I shouldn't be having that strong of an opinion.

Around here I mainly use "like" or "haha" to express acknowledgement where I really have nothing else to say, or that a comment or picture made me laugh.

In "the old days" of BBS's those would have elicited :) or the like as a reply, but then that was really the only option we had.
Thank you for your input. I gained a lot of knowledge from many of dialogue on here. Made some really good friends as well. Again I’m not bitching or anything. I get some great content growers have posted and am just surprised at the lack of posts to follow.

I still very much like and enjoy the content on this site. This is the only Chile site I interact with. The best place for all my Chile needs.

I like using the little smilies - sometimes there is nothing to say other than "there, there" or "have a hug" or "me too" which would be pretty boring if we all posted those comments.
So easier and quicker and less naff to post a smilie :D
But I hear what you're saying Chuck

I like using the little smilies - sometimes there is nothing to say other than "there, there" or "have a hug" or "me too" which would be pretty boring if we all posted those comments.
So easier and quicker and less naff to post a smilie :D
But I hear what you're saying Chuck
I agree. Sometimes a post only needs a like or emoji to show interest.

Conversation activity seems to have ebbed and flowed from year to year. Even during a season, it seems like toward the beginning of the season when people are enthusiastic about choosing their varieties and germinating seeds the conversation is more, but toward the end of the season it wanes a little, with people more acknowledging posted harvest pics and what not. I suppose sometimes being able to drop a "like" means I might do that instead of post a comment, but I think there are more occasions that if it weren't for the ability to quickly post a reaction I might not have made any acknowledgement, especially when there's a lot going on.

Last edited:
Conversation activity seems to have ebbed and flowed from year to year. Even during a season, it seems like toward the beginning of the season when people are enthusiastic about choosing their varieties and germinating seeds the conversation is more, but toward the end of the season it wanes a little, with people more acknowledging posted harvest pics and what not. I suppose sometimes being able to drop a "like" means I might do that instead of post a comment, but I think there are more occasions that if it weren't for the ability to quickly post a reaction I might not have made any acknowledgement, especially when there's a lot going on.
I see. I never thought of it that way. I use to to go to other people’s glogs and read hours and pages of content. Learned a lot from those glogs. There are still some memorable ones from the past I still go back to for reference.

I’m not knocking likes and emoji’s at all. I use them as well. Was just noticing the lack of discussion in some peoples threads and or posts.

Thank you for everyone’s input. This was great!

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The activity aligning with growing seasons has come up year after year. I agree that this is more of what you are seeing as, historically, activity is at a high overall. The only difference with reactions and post counts is, instead of somebody wasting a post with a bulky quote and a 🤣 they can simply add it to the actual post they are reacting to. So sure it can affect post count, but not in a negative way. It is more efficient. However I am sure there is also merit to what you are saying, and some people or areas may be quieter. That can happen as well. Anyway, thanks for your post.

Back