• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Ready to Harvest? need help

Hey Guys,

I have some green chile plants that look about ready to harvest to me. I figured Id get your opinion on it though. What do you think? Is it time to pull these Chiles off? When do I know when to pull these off. I really want to plant some seeds from this plant because it grew so well indoors.

Then we have all these little guys! Im super excited for them. I we have 71 Green Chile (Just because they seem to grow so damn well here in New Mexico) and 1 baby Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

Cheers Pepper Heads

Unless those peppers are supposed to be green when ripe (which I doubt) you should wait until they go red (I am assuming that is the ripened color) if you want to have viable seeds. Right now the seeds are immature and likely won't sprout. As for picking them you can do it anytime you like, but the flavor will not be the same and i think it is better to wait, just my opinion.

Besides, a plant loaded with pods is more interesting than a stalk with leaves don't you think? You have waited a long time for those chilis, enjoy them while they last.

im with Dabbler let them ripen!!, you have something where you are that i have run out of for the year and thats time, winters coming for me and the gardens comingh out soon

thay taste better red too

thanks your friend Joe

Ok cool, I actually never knew that if you let them go for awhile they will turn red. All the Green Chile harvest guides say pull em off when they are 6-8 Inches. I just never knew that Green and Red Hatch chile were the same plant >.< lol

Thanks again for your guidance guys. I think in the name of science we will let them get as large and fat as possible and even wait to see if and when they turn red!

Generally by the time they just start to change colors, the seeds are fully mature.  If you want to eat them green then you can just leave a small # on to ripen more for seed purposes... they probably have dozens of seeds in each pod.

Back