• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Reaper Madness, Take 1

image_zps0977599c.jpg

First... pics. Finally. These are a few of the peppers I'm using. Again, Reapers and Scorpions with some Ghost, Red Habs, Bullet Habs (love these!), and pequin peppers. I didn't ferment because the fermenting apparatus is still in the mail. So, I built a pepper gastrique.

image_zpse06945db.jpg

After that, I poured them in the onion, garlic and shallot saute. Added the tomato sauce, brown sugar, sat, molasses and blood orange juice.

image_zpsf7a6f6b2.jpg

I blended it next, and cracked my blender because I'm a dumb shit. But, it held together. I'm sure the micro pieces of glass won't affect anything.

image_zpsb04b11dc.jpg

As I won't be re-blending today, I'll let it slowly reduce.

My apartment smells like Satan himself made liberal use of the latrine.

So far it tastes sweet and then..... done.

Tons of brown sugar and agave nectar. Let it reduce in the Dutch oven for a few hours. Added lime juice and more molasses. It's sweet and tangy for about 5 seconds. And then hellfire rains down. Put it on some pulled pork tonight. Money. I have a shit ton of the sauce. I'll tweak it in batches.

The next sauce will hopefully be fermented.
TheBuck78 said:
looks fantastic, sorry about the blender

Gives me an excuse to get a Vitamix.

This is true. Love the flavor. Sweet. Tangy. Sweet. And then... Pain. All of my peppers are super hot... even the jalapeños. I'm guessing that growing them all near the Reapers has had an effect.

The Reapers have such a distinctive flavor. You smell them before you taste them. I wish they were fermented, but alas, my pickling airlock jar has yet to arrive. Once it does, I'm curious as to do another pumpkin sauce.
I also see I'm not the only one to think Reaper Madness is a good name for a sauce.

Back