• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Reaper problems again

Hi All,

Seems every time I try to grow reapers I have issues.

Has anyone got any ideas take a look at the pics.

Strange thing is they are growing in the same soil as many other things that are growing perfectly??

Attachments

• IMG_4698.JPG
    IMG_4698.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4699.JPG
    IMG_4699.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 91
Are they just being watered by your retic? Twice a week?
I would guess magnesium or overwatering. Try some Epsom salts from bunnings.

Pinhigh said:
Are they just being watered by your retic? Twice a week?
I would guess magnesium or overwatering. Try some Epsom salts from bunnings.

They are getting water once a day as it has been very hot here in Perth and AU in general.
I tried Epsom on some troubled reapers last season with no better results.

Could be over watering then. My in ground plants are only getting twice a week watering and they are going strong. It hasn't been that hot here in Perth this last week or two.

Pinhigh said:
Could be over watering then. My in ground plants are only getting twice a week watering and they are going strong. It hasn't been that hot here in Perth this last week or two.

Couldn't help myself and applied a watering can of diluted Epsom and a spoon of granules at base of plants.
Will now reduce watering schedule and see what happens.

Thanks 

Pinhigh said:

Hi again, seeing you are in Perth got another one for you.
People keep going on about 10-10-10 fertiliser for reapers
Do you know what the equivalent would be in Aus? 

I don't think you will get an equivalent. They limit phosphorus in Australia.

Not sure who says to use 10-10-10, but most of what I see on here and what I do with my plants is lower nitrogen and smaller amounts more often. For my in-ground plants I use a layer of compost and then a good mulch like triple C over the top. Then water with a soluble vegetable solution when the plants are flowering/fruiting.

Yeh the 10-10-10 is american and its even on the web site of the man that created the carolina reaper. Doesn't compute here though.

I'm doing similar with hügelkultur layer technique this year (see how it goes as there is lots of positive information growing this way) 
Compost and triple C over the top, plus thrive every couple of weeks as active growth now

10-10-10 is simply a balanced fertilizer. Do you have access to 3-3-3, or even 1-1-1? You would just use more of it if needed. Not sure if Aus. Limits phosphorous by ratio or by weight or what. Best of luck!

By far, the best thing you can do for an in-ground plant, is to add organic material to the soil.  Epsom salt is a waste of time for soil, and more so if you are already using a complete fertilizer.  If you don't absolutely know that you need it, you probably shouldn't add it. (as far as nutrients are concerned)  If you can, get a soil test.  Depending on many different factors, what you have in the ground may or may not be available to the plant. (even more reason to get a soil test done in your area by an ag expert)
Provided that everything else is in check, and you aren't getting torrential amounts of rain, a low dose, balanced fertilizer is all that you'd ever need for pepper plants. You don't need to change anything based on what the plant is doing.  Keep it fed consistently (albeit not heavily) and don't love it too much.  Your plant doesn't look terrible, but also not optimal.  It would be easy enough to do a soil pH test, for starters.  
Really the plant doesn't look terrible.  The same plant can look very different, just depending on where it's grown.  How old is this plant, and what are your expectations?

solid7 said:
By far, the best thing you can do for an in-ground plant, is to add organic material to the soil.  Epsom salt is a waste of time for soil, and more so if you are already using a complete fertilizer.  If you don't absolutely know that you need it, you probably shouldn't add it. (as far as nutrients are concerned)  If you can, get a soil test.  Depending on many different factors, what you have in the ground may or may not be available to the plant. (even more reason to get a soil test done in your area by an ag expert)
Provided that everything else is in check, and you aren't getting torrential amounts of rain, a low dose, balanced fertilizer is all that you'd ever need for pepper plants. You don't need to change anything based on what the plant is doing.  Keep it fed consistently (albeit not heavily) and don't love it too much.  Your plant doesn't look terrible, but also not optimal.  It would be easy enough to do a soil pH test, for starters.  
Really the plant doesn't look terrible.  The same plant can look very different, just depending on where it's grown.  How old is this plant, and what are your expectations?

Update: More of the plants leaves are turning yellow and dropping.
I have with-held watering for three days and can see a deeper green in the new growing tips.
I purchase a soil moisture tester and it was obvious straight away that the root zone was over moist and needed drying out.
I purchased a ph tester and the top soil is indicating around about 6.9 which is a little high for optimum chili growing but ok if everything else is good. 

My plants are around three and a half months since I purchase from a nursery (Bunnings) , they were established little seedlings around 4 inches high when purchased.
My expectations are many, many reaper pods as I'm am a chili head and cant get enough of them :)

IMG_4714.JPG
IMG_4713.JPG
IMG_4715.JPG
IMG_4716.JPG
IMG_4717.JPG

Pinhigh said:
I don't think you will get an equivalent. They limit phosphorus in Australia.

Not sure who says to use 10-10-10, but most of what I see on here and what I do with my plants is lower nitrogen and smaller amounts more often. For my in-ground plants I use a layer of compost and then a good mulch like triple C over the top. Then water with a soluble vegetable solution when the plants are flowering/fruiting.

G'day again, I wanted you to have a look at some new pics of my reapers as its been nearly two weeks with your opinion.
Leaves are still yellowing and falling. I've been with-holding watering and I did apply some Epsom ten days ago. 

There's nothing wrong with 6.9 pH for soil grown chilis, and top advice is to not ADD anything more, until you have a better idea what's going on in there.
You'd do really well to get a soil test done from this localized area.  Whatever it is, it's most likely super easy to correct - but not until you can identify it.  It's almost certainly not a matter of just one single nutrient missing. 
I will say that your plants (right now) look an awful lot like what happens when I try to grow in our sandy soils where I live.  My first inclination is to say that you have a soil tilth issue - but again, only a soil test is going to tell you this. 

solid7 said:
There's nothing wrong with 6.9 pH for soil grown chilis, and top advice is to not ADD anything more, until you have a better idea what's going on in there.
You'd do really well to get a soil test done from this localized area.  Whatever it is, it's most likely super easy to correct - but not until you can identify it.  It's almost certainly not a matter of just one single nutrient missing. 
I will say that your plants (right now) look an awful lot like what happens when I try to grow in our sandy soils where I live.  My first inclination is to say that you have a soil tilth issue - but again, only a soil test is going to tell you this. 

This garden bed is completely new only four months old I have tried the lasagna technique. I dug down three feet and removed all the soil. I replaced with a layer of organic plant matter then a layer two foot thick of good quality garden soil then a layer of good quality compost on top. Topped off with a good quality mulch. Oh also added a box of worms. I spent $250 AU on preparing this garden bed.
The Carolina Reapers were growing very well and healthy up until around one month ago??  You can also see in the photo's that there are some other plants growing next to the reapers ( oregano, lemon basil, sweet basil, sage ) all perfectly healthy.
So I'm not convinced I need a soil test because I know exactly what's in it.
Reapers are very fussy and not easy to grow in my experiences over the years.

Steve7270 said:
So I'm not convinced I need a soil test because I know exactly what's in it.
Reapers are very fussy and not easy to grow in my experiences over the years.
So in your estimation, the reapers are so fundamentally different from other chili plants, that they'd show deficiencies, where other chinenses would not? Or they have the same requirements to thrive as herbs?

You say that you know exactly what it's in your soil - so when you added the Epsom, did you know for sure that you needed it? Or that it would have some effect?

You do understand that I'm talking about a soil cation test, right?

Ruid said:
Could it be too hot and they need shade during the hottest parts of the day?

This is the only thing not considered so far and I think you might be on to it.
Temperatures are in the mid to high 30C.
I had similar problems exactly the same time last year trying to grow Carolina Reapers.
My wife's Thai chilli garden is growing perfect but have notice some differences between the Thai chili and the reapers in the heat of the day.
The Thai chilies wilt where as the Carolina reapers do not. Maybe they are stressing out and this is the reason for dropping the leaves??

Time to erect some shade cloth 

Back