• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Reaper X NuMex Twilight

First few pods are forming, they definitely remind me of reapers although they seem a bit more flat? Not sure. I cant remember what last year's reapers looked like at this early stage.

2015_12_31_14_47_48.jpg

2015_12_31_14_48_13.jpg

Those are some great looking pods.  The reaper that I grew over the summer had pods that looked just like those.  I Hope you get some spectacular colors.

I was thinking last night how much easier it would be for hybridizers if people traded pollen rather than seeds... I wonder how much interest there would be in that... Its simple to put a bit of pollen in a tiny ziplock, let it dry over night, seal it and mail it to someone along with a photo of a pod you've gotten off that same plant. Much simpler than growing out seeds for six months...

jsschrstrcks said:
I was thinking last night how much easier it would be for hybridizers if people traded pollen rather than seeds... I wonder how much interest there would be in that... Its simple to put a bit of pollen in a tiny ziplock, let it dry over night, seal it and mail it to someone along with a photo of a pod you've gotten off that same plant. Much simpler than growing out seeds for six months...
Hahaha thats a great idea. Well i reckon just a few flowers will do it, hopefully drying them up will preserve the pollen.

What I've been reading the last couple nights is that as long as its dried first, it should be good for 3-6 months... So 2-3 days (dried first) in an envelope shouldn't be a problem.

I'd be interested to try shipping it to someone. I have a Paper Lantern cross thats kind of fun. I should get a couple more flowers once this arctic "blast" passes me here in Florida.

I'm pretty excited to say the least, checked on the pods earlier today and two of the first ones have some kind of dark shade or on both of them at the top.

My hope is that it'll have some kind of a colour change going. Very surprised to see this on an F1, I was expecting something pretty dull and not see any cool traits coming through until F2s.

I'm struggling to remember whether I had any chinense pods do that in the past. Either way, the pods are way way too small to start ripening (they're about 10-12mm / half an inch).

2016_01_06_15_00_47.jpg

2016_01_06_15_02_17.jpg

2016_01_06_15_02_24.jpg

ablizno said:
I hope it's a result of the cross breeding and not whatever is going on with my white fatalii plant

BKQ9puo.jpg
the white Fatalii's I grew last year did that on the pods that got a bit to much direct sun exposure (I was concerned at first too) only 1 pod suffered from sunscald, the others lost the purpleish tinting as they ripened to a White/light Cream color

:cheers:

That is sort of the equivalent of a pepper sun burn, they turn a little purple (Any of them can - I get it a LOT in FL) on the parts exposed directly to the sun.

Nothing to worry about.

Thanks guys. Both pods are covered by leaves - i don't think they get direct sunlight, but I'll keep watching, hopefully its some kind of a colour change trait rather than them being exposed to the sun, we'll soon find out.

One just started changing colour today, all pods seem very small, there are a couple of bigger ones but compare to all my other reaper plants these are definitely different.

I understand F1 pods are usually pretty meh, normally red since it's the dominant colour, etc, so once I get a few more pods ripening up I'll do a taste test and will collect as many seeds to grow out F2s as possible.

p.s. ignore the stains, I've been spraying with lime sulphur to keep mites under control.

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

obchili said:
I'm liking it. Mini Reapers....... Bite sized for your enjoyment.
Haha I reckon. Once i get a few ripe ones will have to do a taste test, I hope the heat will still remain as Numex Twilights werent that hot at all.

Hey mate unfortunately this plant got totally annihilated by broadmites before I could realise what was happening. Now I know how to deal with them but it was too little too late when I realise what I had to do. I got a few seeds from the pods that came up but not sure if they'll germinate. Will give it a go closer to our summer and will see. Was pretty gutting to see it dead but I guess thats how you learn.. lol.

Back