• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Recepie fore Cajun spice and Jamaican spice.

Hello!

I would like to have recepies for Cajun spice & Jamaican jerkspice(don't know of it's the correct word but it's the spice they use when grilling chicken).

I would like them to be as genuine as possible because i want to get the reall flavor of the two cousines. In other word they don't have to be superhots. It would be fun if even my whimpy sister could eat it.;)

If they are quite hot in the original version is there a way to make them to suite kids better?

Several options is a good thing for someone who likes food.

I'm Swedish and tired so there may be some spelling & or grammatic errors. :think:

Cajun spice is cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and some others. The cooking of stews and soups etc. starts with the trinity as a flavor base, which is mirepoix with green bells instead of carrots. Roux is the foundation of many stews.

Jerk is cooking over pimento wood or any wood with a wet rub paste made from scallions, scotch bonnets, allspice, nutmeg, and some others.

This was just a quick write-up. There's a lot more too it.

Thank you for the info.
Ecpecially Texas blues.
I'm sure gonna try the Cajunspice in the bbq this summer.

If there are any more dry spices(maybe ethnic blends?) i oughta try that would be fun too.
It would be good if there are any familyfriendly blends.
I'll just add some chilipowder or hot sauce on my steak to get it slightly hotter.

Here's Emeril's Creole Seasoning:
2 1/2 tbl paprika
2 tbl salt
2 tbl garlic powder
1 tbl black pepper
1 tbl onion powder
1 tbl. cayenne
1 tbl. dried oregano
1 tb. dried thyme

Cajun spice is cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and some others. The cooking of stews and soups etc. starts with the trinity as a flavor base, which is mirepoix with green bells instead of carrots. Roux is the foundation of many stews.

Jerk is cooking over pimento wood or any wood with a wet rub paste made from scallions, scotch bonnets, allspice, nutmeg, and some others.

This was just a quick write-up. There's a lot more too it.

Then there's the herbal, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.

thank you hot stuff for that recepie.

paulky thank you for that link but the thing is that i want to make my own jerk.
It's a bit pricey for me to order from the states.;)

There are numerous Jerk recipes on the internet. I wish I could recommend one, but if it includes scotch bonnet and allspice you're probably on the right track. :)

PS I imagine you could substitute whatever hot pepper you like for cayenne. :)

Yeah probably so.

I have allso thought of just replace the superhots with some other milder chili if needed.
I'm not a total chilihead yet. Still a novice in your standards but i do like chili so i'm probably gonna end up chewing on a hab some day.:)

It would have been nice if i could chare a swedish spicerecepie containing some sort of chili but we don't have that kind of culture.
I do have a recepie on a dry rub base tho if you check my profile.
Just add some hot chilipowder if wanted. But i don't know how common it is to use juniperberries in the states & if it is the same eadable variety.

It would have been nice if i could chare a swedish spicerecepie containing some sort of chili but we don't have that kind of culture.
Give us a BBQ sauce recipe with lingonberry. I bet that would be good.

thats a good idea.
Have to wait til they are in season tho.
A spicy lingonberrychutney maybe?
We do have some nice berries & mushrooms so i'll probably come up with something.

Back