• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Recommend a food mill, please

I'm looking for a brand, model#...

Also, how much faster is an electric mill than a manual model? I'm inclined to want a manual model solely to save money. Would I be making a mistake? Thanks

I have this one http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2-stainless-steel-food-mill/922SVM8.html and I love it.

100% stainless, 4 interchangeable plates for whole tomatoes (de-skins and de-seeds), de-seeding berries, mashed potatoes, and especially, SPAETZLE!!

Read the reviews... 5 out of 5 stars and only $26. Brand new. I would not waste money on an electric one unless you were in a major production / restaurant situation.

I have one of these http://www.squeezostrainer.com/product_detail_31826.aspx?gclid=CMnx_JDn3sECFZaCaQodZysA3A  . I bought a used one on ebay for about $40. The new prices do seem high. There are good deals on ebay. It is a very solid piece of equipment and I have processed many bushels of apples and tomatoes with it.  It puts the pulp and juice out the side chute and the seeds,cores, and skins out the end . I couldn't even imagine going through a harvest season with out it.

Another of the OXO hand crank food mill fellowship.  Mine was purchased about 4 years ago.  It's made baby food and pumpkin pie and applesauce along with myriad types of hot sauce.  Simple, easy to clean and effective for my needs.

OXO for me as well.

IMAG0199.jpg

Roguejim said:
I'm looking for a brand, model#...

Also, how much faster is an electric mill than a manual model? I'm inclined to want a manual model solely to save money. Would I be making a mistake? Thanks

Are you going to be dumping in a continuous stream of food or in as automated a process as possible?  Will you concurrently be cooking a batch while blending another while food milling another?  The speed difference won't matter unless you are heavily multitasking.  Otherwise the time it takes to turn a food mill manually till *done* is small relative to the rest of the preparation time.  For example even on a thick paste-like sauce it only takes maybe 30 seconds (probably less than that) each time.

You might not even want an electric for another reason.  If it goes too fast so you can't take more time to judge when it is done extracting what you want, then you may end up with a higher % of skin or seed particles coming through than you want.   For example with my manual Foley food mill I don't want it to keep going till every last particle is shoved through the bottom. 

I want to stop when almost all of the easily draining liquid is extracted then with what remains in the mill I put that back in a pot, do another food mill full, dump the soilds from that back into the pot, etc. then add a little water to that pulp in the pot to get more out of it by putting it through the food mill again.  If you are careful not to add too much water you still end up with thick sauce, or it can always be cooked down more.

Having never used a food mill, what would you compare its use to...similar to an expedited fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth or is there a difference to the end result compared to straining with strainer or cheese cloth?

Back