• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recommend me some pepper/chiles with real flavour... that won't kill me :)

Now, I like hot foods. Always have for some reason. Then I find this forum and realise I am not alone. Yet, I am scared to ask for recommendations on chile's from most of you!

You see, I've watched the video's of you trying to kill yourselves... I don't think I want to experience that :)

I do cook with serrano's, the little thai chile, red and green korean ones (not much heat tho), jalapeno's... we don't get hab's or anything like that in grocery shops up here that I've seen.

This is my first year growing peppers and so far it's going well! I think I will get about 20-30 jalapeno's, 15-20 serrano, 12-16 cherry bomb, 15-20 tabasco and probably 30 super chile's!

I'd like to grow one or two varieties of extreme hot stuff next year, but mostly I am going for flavour with some decent heat (which to me is... srirachna chili sauce hot or a bit hotter)... but I really don't know my varieties all that well. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Two recommendations....Scotch Bonnets and Orange Habaneros...the annuum scotch bonnets are a little hotter than the tabasco and the O Habs are your basic habaneros, not super hot like the nagas, 7 pots, scorpions, etc...

I highly recommend Orange Thai peppers. I'm addicted to them in every dish. I use 10-12 at a time. Nice heat, but not killer.

Chris

Arivivi/Aribibi Gusano,Cumari ou Passarinho,Habanero Manzano,Trinidad perfume,Thai's, Peter pepper,Serrano's,Brazilian Malagueta

for crazy chinensis flavour without the wild heat chase down some of the seaasong peppers, also trinidad congo pepper tasty and a bit different.

You may want to try Datil peppers. They have a very unique flavor and aren't so hot that it'll hurt you. The heat is respectable but the flavor is pretty strong, so not that much is needed to provide a real good taste addition to any foods.

I slice mine thin, across the pepper and keep them in white vinegar on a three to one ratio with vinegar being the "3". I use this on everything from salads to sauces to add the Datil flavor. So little is needed for the flavor that the vinegar isn't a concern in altering the taste of foods. The Datil flavor is much stronger than that of the vinegar.

I bet you someone here on this forum can hook you up after harvesting this fall...

I agree with AJ I know I will have some seeds later on that won't burn ya up, but right know I am in the middle of trying to get some pure seeds with covering the pods and waiting this waiting game is killing MEEEEEEEEEEEE

My first thought was Fatali..(big surprise eh?)
They're about as hot as a regular hab, but an amazing taste.

Then again, I think Nagas taste good too. ;)

I can sure say +1 on the Orange Habaneros. We have been adding those tasty little jewels to our garden to the point that this year we have more of them than the Anaheim plants.

Habs may be a good idea, but make sure you like them first! They have a strong aroma, but some people do not like it while others love it. I'm sure somebody here can hook you up with a dried pod, so you can try before you grow.

Aside from that, most of the recommendations you got were quite good. The peppers you listed aren't super-mild :) so you should be doing fine with a little more heat.

Chiliac said:
Habs may be a good idea, but make sure you like them first! They have a strong aroma, but some people do not like it while others love it. I'm sure somebody here can hook you up with a dried pod, so you can try before you grow.

Aside from that, most of the recommendations you got were quite good. The peppers you listed aren't super-mild :) so you should be doing fine with a little more heat.

i agree...!

by the way, you can try golden haba, not so hot and not so strong aroma;
chocolate haba, hot, but like smokin' aroma;

not hot, but i like it, the citrusy taste of hot lemon;

and finally one of my favourite, very hot and a bit citrusy sense: naga morich (and all its family bhut, bih, dorset..)

Back