• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Recommend me some pepper/chiles with real flavour... that won't kill me :)

I love scotch bonnets too but I don't think the squash peppers are real SB's and the C. annuum "scotch bonnets" are usually just mushroom peppers. I think the confusion starts when everything with a bonnet shape becomes known as Scotch bonnet even though most SB's aren't even bonnet shaped. Real scotch bonnets are C. chinense and originate from Jamaica or at least the Caribean

You know, to tell the truth, I don't know which ones I have, annuums or chinense...I will have to go back and see where I ordered them from to determine which species they are...all I know is what I have taste wonderful...I was saying annuum by leaf shape...

POTAWIE said:
I love scotch bonnets too but I don't think the squash peppers are real SB's and the C. annuum "scotch bonnets" are usually just mushroom peppers.

Sooo... the distributor that shows a picture of a pepper with a bonnet shape, lists them as "squash" and says they're the same as "mushroom"... not listing species for either... Um, I guess that really doesn't end with a question, just adds to the confusion.

I guess I sort of hijacked this off the original question, but in my mind it contributes in a roundabout way. ;)

AlabamaJack said:
You know, to tell the truth, I don't know which ones I have, annuums or chinense...I will have to go back and see where I ordered them from to determine which species they are...all I know is what I have taste wonderful...I was saying annuum by leaf shape...

Just checked my records and the Scotch Bonnet I have are from Pepper Joe's, ran at 80% germination rate, and are chinense species...

I am also growing Jamaican Hot Red, Jamaican Hot Yellow, and Jamaican Hot Chocolate from Tomato Growers...the website does not say what species they are but they have the "Scotch Bonnet" shape...here is what the TG website says about the red and yellow..."Very compact, densely foliaged plants bear an abundance of bright yellow or red, thin-skinned hot peppers that are shaped like a tam o' shanter. Actually a type of squash pepper. Interestinvg shape and spicy taste make this pepper good to eat fresh, pickle, or use as a garnish."

AlabamaJack said:
Just checked my records and the Scotch Bonnet I have are from Pepper Joe's, ran at 80% germination rate, and are chinense species...

I am also growing Jamaican Hot Red, Jamaican Hot Yellow, and Jamaican Hot Chocolate from Tomato Growers...the website does not say what species they are but they have the "Scotch Bonnet" shape...here is what the TG website says about the red and yellow..."Very compact, densely foliaged plants bear an abundance of bright yellow or red, thin-skinned hot peppers that are shaped like a tam o' shanter. Actually a type of squash pepper. Interestinvg shape and spicy taste make this pepper good to eat fresh, pickle, or use as a garnish."

In italy we call scozzese (that means scottish) the annuum variety.
Scozzese have'nt tipycal chinense taste, and smells (more or less) like a normal annuum variety (no fruity aroma).

Hi,
i'm also from Canada and this is my first season growing... i have a couple of extreme heats available for you at the end of the season if you like.... they being the infamous BHUT JOLOKIA ( they go along way ) and also the RED SAVINA ( a very hot habanero ).... i also have a shit load of new seeds that i am saving for the next season courtesy of " the hippy seed company "...

so if you want to start trading seeds and sharing your growing experiances with me that would be great since i am a newbie as well...lol

more then happy to get to know a couple of local chili heads to exchange information and possibly seeds/pods... cheers !

Canada

Well, with this board here, I no longer feel like such a newb at growing peppers. My current batch are doing quite well... except for the little bit of sunburn my babies got when I didn't harden them off long enough.

I appreciate the offers for seed trading! I'll just have to figure out what I can send in return :)

Trinidad and Tobago seasoning peppers have all the flavor of the habanero with no heat. I have some strains of st. lucia peppers that no else has too. Everyone grows jalapeno's there boring. The south american and carribean flavor's is where its at for me anyway.

I dont know if its just me but I grew aji dulce & trinidad perfume last season & I dont think they're that special, in fact I'd rather grow some sweet orange/yellow bells before growing heatless fake chile types again.
as for recommending some types, people already listed some good ones (so no point in saying them again), & then some people listed some way out of your heat range even though you requested you didnt want something thats too hot!

Well I do want to grow one or two really hot varieties just to see... how bad it is. :)

But not something I want to dominate my diminutive garden!

I'm a huge caribean and mexican food fan. Heck, I am just a food fan. I cook everything - indian, thai, chinese, japanese, malaysian, mexican, callalou, roti and jerk anything :)

Honestly I am blessed where I am, tons of great food to eat. Which is a great way to learn the flavours and then I go home and experiment.

915river said:
Arivivi/Aribibi Gusano,Cumari ou Passarinho,Habanero Manzano,Trinidad perfume,Thai's, Peter pepper,Serrano's,Brazilian Malagueta

915, have you grown the habanero manzano? I always wondered how that strain was possible since C. pubescens don't cross with other species.

Alabamajack said:
"I bet you someone here on this forum can hook you up..."

My goodness, between people hooking-up and riding Rainbow ponies, you can bet I'm going to keep checking in here.
laughing024.gif

Back