• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Recommendation of peppers to start out with?

I was thinking about some 7 pots. I usually do habaneros (mostly orange, some red). Also, if someone can send me some various seeds, that would be great, I would gladly paypal the shipping cost.

Fatalii is a pretty prolific pepper, mine seem to grow quickly compared to every other strain as well, even the annuums.  I'd recommend it as a beginner pepper.

Carolina Reaper. Not just for the heat and the hype. It's just a fantastic tasting pepper - quickly becoming one of my favorites. If you like red habs, you'll probably really dig the reaper.

I agree with the reapers. Very tasty pepper! Ed Currie sure produced a winner with the reaper! Chocolate habs and Caribbean reds are scrumdiddilyumptious as well. I have never had a fatalii, but I am constantly hearing how great they are (hence why I am growing a couple this year). It is a little late to start from seeds for most C. Chinese, but we have had great success with live plants from Cross Country Nursery. They have a heck of a selection too.

reapers look great, I just don't know if I would be able to handle the heat (i currently use habs mostly).

And like I said, if someone has seeds they wouldn't mind parting with, I will gladly paypal the shipping cost plus extra for taking the time. Otherwise I'll just hit up ebay, but I figured I could trust this site better.

Due to the date and your location you will have higher yield growing something that's quick to sprout and quicker to ripen like annuums rather than chinense, but you should be able to at least get a first wave or two of chinense ripe but if you try, consider using containers so you can bring them inside to finish ripening in fall.

Dave2000 said:
Due to the date and your location you will have higher yield growing something that's quick to sprout and quicker to ripen like annuums rather than chinense, but you should be able to at least get a first wave or two of chinese ripe but if you try, consider using containers so you can bring them inside to finish ripening in fall.
What exactly do you mean by the "first or second wave"?
And is it too late to start for a fall harvest for a chinese variety? 

trumpstylz said:
What exactly do you mean by the "first or second wave"?

And is it too late to start for a fall harvest for a chinense variety? 

When a plant grows past the first fork to the next forks, there's the sites for your first significant wave of peppers.  Each of those forks grows some then forks again.  There's your second wave of peppers.  While I am generally against pruning, in this case with limited time you might try pruning some plants and leaving the rest whole to see which work out best.  I would also start out with a higher number of plants so even if each produces way less than they would with a full season, the numbers are still in your favor.

Fall harvest is what I meant, that starting now you could get a couple waves by fall, and a third wave may or may not make it to full size pods before the first frost date, but is pretty unlikely to ripen before the first frost date.  Then again the weather has been crazy for the past few years, if you get a lot of sun and warmer than average weather for Chicago then you may end up with more than average plant productivity in that time frame.

You should look into the seed vendors here. Ordering from ebay is risky bussiness, you could order 6or7 different types but only grow bell peppers. Theres some shifty people selling seeds on ebay, not all but most.

I bought my seeds from ebay actually. Hellhotpeppers.com is their website i think. Really good germination rates. I planted one seed of a few types of peppers. All germinated.

I'm too far away from the US to get any good seeds cheaply. Sigh

Im new to all this, but 7pot Jonah is currently my fav having both great productivity, and insane heat.
An all round great pepper I think!

Thats kinda like asking a crackhead if he wants to smoke crack,  or crack lol!   Man,  there are just soooo many great peppers to taste and try out there it's insane.  My favorite's are Jalapenos,  any hab besides orange,  Scotch Bonnets for sure (probably my most favorite),  for heat and taste a Yellow 7Pod,  Chocolate Scorps, and def a Butch T.  See what I mean,  the list can go on and on and on!  Good luck on your pepper journey!

I would recommend C. baccatum like lemon drop or Blondie and C. annuum peppers e.g. Pasilla, jalapeno, or anchos for outside.

if you grow indoors I would say C. chinense like habaneros, bhut jolokia, 7 pods or whatever.

wild peppers are the only ones I would NOT recommend to a beginner. They can be tricky.

I bought seeds from a so called reputable company before I knew about the good seed sources recommended on this forum, and now they are starting to fruit, I got some carolina reapers, but they look like a habanero pepper. so my lesson to the masses, do your research before you buy seeds, so you are not dissapointed like me,

so ya lesson learned, check with this forum before getting seeds, and I thought ahead before it was too late in the season and ordered more seeds from the creator of the carolina reaper. so I am in good shape again,

Back