• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Recommendations for boosting seedling growth?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to start feeding my hot pepper seedlings a (diluted strength) liquid organic fertilizer to help boost their growth rates. The seedlings sprouted the first week of April and have about 2 sets of true leaves. I know it's usually frowned upon to use fertilizer on seedlings due to the risk of "burning" them, but I've read that it's safe to give seedlings liquid kelp and/or liquid fish fertilizer (5-1-1). Would anyone recommend using either of these at this stage of growth? I would appreciate any feedback!

You can start with a 1/8 to 1/4 strength EVERY OTHER feeding if they react well to it. If you want to start with something light and easy get some 0-0-0 Cal Mag. Can't burn em up with that.

I've been feeding seedlings for 20 plus years. Never had a problem yet. Just carefully watch the tips of the leaves. If they tern brown or black cut back.

Thanks! What about spraying the leaves with an Epsom salt solution? I've heard that helps to "green-up" the plants (some of my seedlings are beginning to turn a light green/yellowish color). I've heard suggestions ranging anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt per spray bottle...can anyone recommend a safe ratio to use?

After doing some more research, it appears that the general consensus is to use 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salt per gallon of water. I think I'm going to go with that, as well as apply a 1/4 strength solution of fish emulsion (5-1-1).

Back