• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Recovering Your Ransomed PhotoBucket Pix

texas blues said:
I had 1000's of images via PB posted to this site.

I put up with their slow speed.

And their BS advertising.

And then they turned it into a really bad turd sandwich.

One that I will never taste.

Yeah I had some pretty good pics on PB that I'll never get back.

Screw those people.

paulky_2000 said:
Nothashtag...MeToo....

bob65 said:
This is interesting.

It would appear that the ransom that Photobucket was trying to charge has not worked out so well for them.

Now $20/year.

Yes it is!

As a long time PB user I've learned not to "click" on items, during the initial roll out of the hijack I would backdoor in by using the History function of google chrome, thereby not needing to login as others told me when they did they were all kinds of issues.

So I investigated this deal as best I can without clicking on anything because I can't believe they dropped it from $400 to 20 bucks! The important part to any deal with them is 3rd Party Hosting and as can be seen below, in two parts as I couldn't screen capture the whole URL, are the details in the link posted above, again interesting. But  keep reading after those pix.

WIxxWeH.jpg

`
s09iPXH.jpg

`
So what did I find outside this offer? From my PB account I looked around and can only find their standard offer...

`
kAqkum2.jpg

So I'm wondering if the "beginner plan" arrowed in the first pic is just that, first time subscribers? EDIT: I forgot this link before hitting the Post button...What Plans Offer 3rd Party Hosting?... They're only listing the PLUS 500 @ 400 bucks!

More to follow.... NECM

Don't waste you time with this company. They obviously don't know what their doing. Pretty soon the servers will go offline so don't waste your energy.

Even the recommended Flikr was bought out, by a company that admitted they have no idea what they're doing.

The Hot Pepper said:
Don't waste you time with this company. They obviously don't know what their doing. Pretty soon the servers will go offline so don't waste your energy.

Even the recommended Flikr was bought out, by a company that admitted they have no idea what they're doing.

This from a guy with his own server, and can store as many pix as he wants for free, but charges for others to do so.

xdlcqwi.jpg

Obviously you know what you're doing!  :P  ;)  :) 

Back on subject... The main reason for this thread is many, myself included - see below for an extremely small portion of them, have thousands of pix being held hostage and searching for the best method of accessing them. I've been transferring them slowly to imgur but totally agree with you that can change at the whim of the owner of the site - or sale thereof. So if an opportunity to lose the dreaded    
546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg
  I'm all in, especially at 20 bucks a year!

`
gGYpaqC.jpg

`

Oh,  forgot, to your credit you do offer almost 10MB of free server storage to all THP members...

`

aWJdWhG.jpg

`

It's free to upload here when you reply look at the attachment button under the editor in full mode. And no servers aren't free.

dragonsfire said:
It was bad enough their site was so slow it took minutes to load at times.

That was without the ad blocker option before the 6/17 heist...2014.... I think I paid 10 bucks a year & it was worth every penny. They have an ad free option now @ 60 bucks.

`

The Hot Pepper said:
And no servers aren't free.

I know that bossman, so why is everyone beating up PB for charging? My thoughts are, after offering free 3rd party hosting then flipping the switch to 400 bucks and replacing the pix with the infamous speedometer, everyone went wild.... and rightly so! But let's just say, "the times they are a changing", more to follow!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I know that bossman, so why is everyone beating up PB for charging?'

Charging wasn't the issue for me. I don't use them. They broke the internet, worse than Kim Kardashian. :lol: And their plans show that they don't really know what their doing. Someone was like "Hey let's charge... but also let's make it some really crazy number and block all the images on the entire internet going back to 2003! They will have to pay us! Ha!" That was the issue from the consumer standpoint. Extortion.

They will probably go belly up soon.

The Hot Pepper said:
Charging wasn't the issue for me. I don't use them. They broke the internet, worse than Kim Kardashian. :lol: And their plans show that they don't really know what their doing. Someone was like "Hey let's charge... but also let's make it some really crazy number and block all the images on the entire internet going back to 2003! They will have to pay us! Ha!" That was the issue from the consumer standpoint. Extortion.

They will probably go belly up soon.
Maybe not now that they realize the error of their ways! Read this> Photobucket drops pricing that angered millions (and new CEO hopes to unbreak the internet).... The interesting part is:

"Photobucket on Wednesday also turned back on millions of users’ images that were still linked to around the web. 

The move allowed the images to reappear in place instead of the stock speedometer image that had replaced them last summer. Leonard ruefully joked that speedometer might have become the most viewed image in internet history, though one linked to users’ anger with the company.

“This was weighing on us,” he said. “We wanted to see the images replaced and the internet to be put back together in a sense.”"

I'll be back in a few after I check another forum...

`

“It’s the first step of many to restore the trust of customers,” said Ted Leonard, Photobucket’s new CEO.

[SIZE=17.5px]​That's idiotic, only an idiot would believe them after being burned and "Restore" trust.[/SIZE]

The Hot Pepper said:
Interesting. :)

So my longtime ChileHead friend, MikeUSMC, was one of the first I know of that got bit in the dupa when all his posted PB pix links got busted.....but they're back!> So, ya wanna be an Ironworker, huh kid?.. That's him hangin' iron in CT..... I checked the ones with the kitten (Note, not a speedometer!) and they are broken links from his PB account... 

Final check.......Let's see if I can now direct link to my PB account....Nope! Still gutta pay for a 3rd party hosting option from them!    

JClVyc5.jpg

LfbBVLY.jpg

`

Back