• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Recovery Log

As some of you already know, on April 7 I injured my foot, which caused a lot of nerve damage, but no broken bones. The doc put me into an immobilization boot, which I wore for about a month and a half. Then I started walking. Generally, depending upon available time, I now walk 1 - 3 miles a day, sometimes twice a day. I still have some pain in my foot, but it is much better than it was following the injury. Mostly things like squatting down or turning the foot to the side cause pain, but just walking has been okay for the most part.

The doc gave me a program to follow when I was ready to start running again. When I saw it, I thought "LAME", but then, isn't that what one is with a foot injury? :) The program starts with one minute of running, followed by five minutes of walking. Yes, ONE MINUTE. Um.... er..... Okay, but that is a cycle. Went out for the first time tonight and went a mile. Ran for the requisite minute, walked the requisite five, repeated, ran a third time, then walked the rest of the way home. So far, so good. Yes, I'm feeling my foot more than I was before the run, which I was told in advance would probably happen. Okay, fine. I'm supposed to stick with the 1/5 minute routine until my foot no longer hurts after I'm done. Then I can go to a 2/4 routine, which will lead to a 3/3 routine, etc.

I can tell this isn't going to go as quickly as I'd like - patience is not a virtue I have in abundance when it comes to certain things, and recovery is one of them. Hence, this log. Perhaps if I have some fellow members watching my back side, I won't try to push too hard too soon, and it won't be quite so frustrating. I'm telling myself it's okay - NEXT year I can get back to doing road races. THIS year, focus on healing. Admittedly, right now my thoughts are on the bottle of ibuprofen.... or maybe a beer. :lol:

So if you'd either like to chime in with support, or have a recovery of your own you'd like some support in, I'd like to hear from you!

Don't open that door, Don't press the red button, Don't play in traffic. I believe "Don't" actually tempts some of us.

You were right. I should not have looked. Although I can see bloody birth canal Barbie being educational....kinda.

You were right. I should not have looked.
LOL - you were given fair warning! :lol:

Although I can see bloody birth canal Barbie being educational....kinda.
Scenario: Millions of females become so terrified by Barbie they forsake having babies, and the world's population drastically drops. The globe's males become frustrated, as the females know that doing "that" leads to "being Barbied", so leave "that" behind, too. . . . . :lol:

I had my final exam in my physics class yesterday, so admittedly didn't exercise a lot this past week as studying took precedence. So I haven't progressed beyond the run-one-walk-five routine. However, I have seen tremendous improvement in my form since starting, and as everyone who runs knows, form is an important element in running well. There are two things that demonstrate form improvement to me, the first of which is what happens with the legs. Wearing the boot (aka walking cast) does affect your form, both because it prevents your ankle and entire foot from flexing/bending, and also because it is heavy, so even if you walk as correctly as possible while wearing it (which I made every effort to do), you still have to compensate some which throws off your gait. So when you finally get the boot off, you have a period of adjustment. I felt like my legs were just about going everywhere when I first started running again. Now, however, they are more back in alignment.

This comes to the second thing that tells me my form is improving: speed. I have no idea how far I am running in one minute, but I have been counting my paces. I am defining "pace" as the time I pick up one particular foot to the time it returns to the ground, so a left-to-left cycle, or a right-to-right cycle. When I first started, I was only doing about 50 paces a minute. Now I'm up to 80. I'm 5'6" tall, so what does that tell you about how fast I'm running? LOL - no idea since I don't know the distance!

At any rate, for those of you sticking with me in this - THANKS! I appreciate your encouragement!

G

Sounds good. I assume you have a meter to help with the counting. If not you are really exercising your brain too.

No, that's the correct term; you're not wrong. I just haven't felt a real need to get one, but sometimes am curious. They say you should walk at least 1,000 steps a day. That's only about a mile. Well, maybe. The route I take to run is about 1.5 miles long, so about 3 miles to do the full loop. If I start at the place I usually do and head south, it's about 1 mile around to return to where I started. If I head north instead, it's about 2 miles around. I have tried to count the steps in either direction, and have tried to count from one end to the other. Only something always manages to trip up my concentration somewhere between 300 and 700 steps. So I am curious about the number of steps, but not curious enough to get a pedometer, since I know the distance. At any rate, counting to 80 paces (or even 200) is a piece of cake by comparison.

I prefer fast walking/speed walking compared to jogging. The lack of compression on the spine is the main reason and my back has gone through some serious chit in my youth. Glad it is all coming back for you.

Back