• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Red habanero

I have 4 red Habanero plants. I had ordered them from hirts gardens last march off Amazon.com
I expected 4 orange hab plants. But these ones are red.
One member said I lucked out, which I agree I really did.

I'm not sure if these are Caribbean reds or Red Savinas.
I am willing to send samples out to let some of you be the judge.
All I know is they are hotter than the orange habs, have a way better taste.

1321297378287.jpg

1321297396991.jpg

1321297384606.jpg

1321297378287.jpg

Those look a whole like the Caribbean Red Habaneros I grew from hardware store bedding plants in 2009. I think they must have gotten the seeds from Burpee, because the photo on the plant label was the very same one from the Burpee catalog. But the resulting chiles look nothing like that photo!

I still have 2 plants from that batch that I have continued to overwinter. The chiles are quite pungent, I would say easily as hot as the Red Savina. The flavor and aroma is closer to a regular Orange Habanero than the other C.R.'s I've had, but very intense. These are small, very powerful chiles. This photo is from 2009, when I was a rank noob to chile growing:

Sep 22 09 1.jpg

I'd say they are likely Caribbean Reds, although the red is far darker than they usually get. They look almost exactly like the ones I got from biscgolf, although the picture is from far away. Shape-wise, I'd say no on the Red Savina. The Savina is more bell-pepper-like in its shape, and tends to be concave. Caribbean Reds, which is what these look like, tend to be more like a traditional Habanero, and have the "inflated" look to them, more rounded and less facets.

I took out my trusty magnifier.....they're definitely not Red Savinas, and they do look like the typical Caribbean Reds, I've grown both for a number of years...

Greg

They look like Caribbean Reds to me. I have a freezer full of them from last year (all vacuum packed of course).

One of our favorites and great for making sauces!!

Back