• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Jalapeños?

You never know. I haven't made a "red" sauce yet! Everything comes out looking green. My "Nuclear Scurvy" is actually almost neon green.

The avatar pic is actually my sauce, but it's a bad pic and you can't really see the color.

I was hoping my recipie with habs and serranos would at least come out a little orange.

DevilDuck said:
You never know. I haven't made a "red" sauce yet! Everything comes out looking green. My "Nuclear Scurvy" is actually almost neon green.

The avatar pic is actually my sauce, but it's a bad pic and you can't really see the color.

I was hoping my recipie with habs and serranos would at least come out a little orange.

Yeah y'all. I've been away for a bit, suffered some chile hardships :cheers: , long story. Man I've a lot of reading to catch up on.

I've been having bit of a tough time keeping my green sauces...well green. I hot bottle my sauces and through the heating process and the ph level my nice bright green turns more olive. I work in all my herbs during the blending and that helps brighten a bit but not the same color as a nice fresh sauce. Anyone have any tips on still being able to heat the sauce and maitain proper ph plus keep a bright green color. I've been tempted to work in a bunch of spinach at the end just for the chorophyll.

ChefEx said:
Yeah y'all. I've been away for a bit, suffered some chile hardships :cheers: , long story. Man I've a lot of reading to catch up on.

I've been having bit of a tough time keeping my green sauces...well green. I hot bottle my sauces and through the heating process and the ph level my nice bright green turns more olive. I work in all my herbs during the blending and that helps brighten a bit but not the same color as a nice fresh sauce. Anyone have any tips on still being able to heat the sauce and maitain proper ph plus keep a bright green color. I've been tempted to work in a bunch of spinach at the end just for the chorophyll.

I'm not a sauce expert yet, but I think if you use some dried green chilies it may help with the color. Are you using fresh peppers only?

POTAWIE said:
I'm not a sauce expert yet, but I think if you use some dried green chilies it may help with the color. Are you using fresh peppers only?

No using fresh. Dried green chilis...hmm...not sure if it's going to work with the current sauce I'm toying with, but I'm up for an experiment. thanks.

Well, my last batch was a jalapeño / habenero blend with mostly habs. I used dried and fresh herbs, onion and some other stuff (gotta keep my secrets, you know) and it came out looking like this...

zoneOnez.jpg

Back