• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red japenos, same right?

Picked some of these up last week and devoured them, decided to get more today.

I have read that these are just fully ripe standard jalapenos rather than anything unique. Is this true? The taste (imo) is amazing compared to the others I have. They have a much more sweet flavor but a bit less kick. Had one that suprised me and made the others seem meek in heat level. I deep fired some to put in a spinach salad (I know oxymoron) and it was awesome!
Can just picking later really have that much of a difference in flavor/appearance or is there any actual differences variant wise?

iPhone163-1.jpg

iPhone161.jpg

Almost forgot the pics....okay I did forget them :cheers:

Yup, normal jalapenos ripen red. And yes, they taste better ripe. Extra credit points for the Hop Stoopid in the pic. :beer:

I would agree that normal jalapenos are not usually pointy, but there are a lot of jalapeno varieties out there. I grew some jalapeno "gigante" last year and they were pointy, but not bigger than usual ones. The Fresnos we get around here in the stores look like the pic except slightly "flattened."

The stores here sell Fresnos named both as Red Jalapenos or fresno.
Same plastic pack by the same company right next to each other on the shelf.

I asked the produce guy about it and he said they sell better as red Jalapenos than they do called Fresnos.

So it isn't a jalapeno, it is just sold as one to make more money. :rolleyes:

Stuff like that makes life just that little more confusing than it should be.

Those aren't jalapenos........look like hungarian hot wax or maybe fresno

Right on diving into research...

Yup, normal jalapenos ripen red. And yes, they taste better ripe. Extra credit points for the Hop Stoopid in the pic. :beer:

Thanks, hop stoopiod packs a good kick, :beer: Local guy gets it for $12 a sixer of the talls, can't beat it!

I would agree that normal jalapenos are not usually pointy, but there are a lot of jalapeno varieties out there. I grew some jalapeno "gigante" last year and they were pointy, but not bigger than usual ones. The Fresnos we get around here in the stores look like the pic except slightly "flattened."

They have a distinct flattened appearance to them, none are well rounded with a consistent radius.

The stores here sell Fresnos named both as Red Jalapenos or fresno.
Same plastic pack by the same company right next to each other on the shelf.

I asked the produce guy about it and he said they sell better as red Jalapenos than they do called Fresnos.

I stop by that place every day so I'll check on the box (der....didnt even think of that)

This is the exact thread I almost started last summer. After I learned from this site about the joys of red jalapenos, I started buying the red ones next to the green jalapenos at the grocery store. Yes, they were sweeter and a little hotter than the green ones. But I knew these weren't really jalapenos. The texture and wall thickness was different, and the way it had broad upper and pointed ends made me wonder what it was. I like them, but I wondered why they were calling them jalapenos. The idea that they sell better by mislabeling made sense to me (even though I don't agree with that marketing technique). Also, sometimes they sell the red ones for 3X more in price and still call them red jalapenos.

Cool, I could not see that taste being a jalapeƱo. If I can find a relatively hot strain that may be my new favorite for flavor.....though that list is rather noobish still.

I agree. Was able to buy red jalapenos for the first time yesterday (only ever found green before) so added some red poppers to last-night's dinner. Very tasty :)

This is what happened last year when I finally let the jalapeno pods turn red. Oh yeah. This year I am growing Vaquero and Biker Billy for heat.

DSC_4781_edited-1.jpg
DSC_4771_edited-1.jpg

Back