• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Red Posole Stew/Soup.

This is my favorite stew/soup. Made with dried red chili peppers. There are many versions. Versions with pork, versions with chicken, versions that are white, versions the are green, many different ways to cook this. Mine is red.

Ingredients:

1 Onion diced or sliced

1-3 Garlic cloves chopped

Stock to fill pot

8-15 New Mexican Chili peppers reconstituted, blended and strained

Water to fill pot with peppers

2-4 cups cooked Pork shredded

2-3 Cooked Chicken Breast meat shredded

1 large can Hominy

1-2 tsp Mexican Oregano

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Toppings: salsa, cabbage, radish, lime, onion, tortillas

Directions:

Cut the tops off the dried peppers and shake out the seeds. Place them into a pot and cover with water. You’ll want lots of the liquid that the peppers cooked in leftover to use in the base for the stew. Turn the peppers on high and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer for 20 minutes. Let them cool off a little before putting them into a blender. If they are still hot make sure the blender top has an escape for the steam. While you’re waiting for them to cool, cook up the onions and garlic in your stock pot in a little oil until translucent. To this you will add in the ingredients to build the stew.

Puree the peppers in the blender with a some of the liquid they cooked in. Pour the pureed peppers into a strainer and using the back of a spoon or a spatula press it through the strainer.

Add in any remaining liquid from the peppers that you strained into the pot and the chicken stock. You’ll want enough liquid to support the meats.

Add in the meats, oregano, salt, pepper, and hominy. Bring to a boil and then turn it down to cook on medium low for 30 minutes.

I get a pretty interesting popup when I click on your thumbnail. Seems as though some young buxom females want to do all sorts of crazy things to my body, that, while intriguing, I simply do not have time for.

Nice looking dish though

Fixed. Bigger than I would have liked, but it works. Yes this is a Mexican dish. Although I have read it is eaten in New Mexico a lot. The color is amazing and if you can get frozen hominy instead of canned, you wont be sorry.

I'm not sure what hominy is and sadly I've never seen mexican oregano in my neck of the woods. I really want to try some more mexican foods though. Maybe I'll have to start growing some of my own

Wait, that's not your image? :(

thehotpepper.com said:
Wait, that's not your image? :(

Sorry, didn't see that in the rules. It was a photo that just looked a lot like it. I've removed it and will post a new one when I make this again.

There are no rules, but usually people post their own pics. I was gonna post that it looked good, but stopped when I saw you used a stock image, that's all.

Blister said:
I'm not sure what hominy is and sadly I've never seen mexican oregano in my neck of the woods. I really want to try some more mexican foods though. Maybe I'll have to start growing some of my own

here is a link for Hominy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy
in short it's corn.

mexican oregano can probably be found in a mexican grocery store if you have one by you. i just heard that it's stronger than the regular oregano. i have never made a red posole - but have made a 'white' one - it is good.

Sadly we don't have much in terms of Mexican suppliers around here. No problems finding Asian foods though. I'll look around anyways.

Back