• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Red Savina

I was wanting to grow red savina a couple years ago but heard that it wasnt completely stable. I was told that the only way to get true red savina seeds was thru Frank Garcia. So is this now a stable variety. Im not so worried about shape of the pods just wanna make sure if i buy seeds that they will be true to taste and heat. Any info will help. Thanks

I don't know who Frank Garcia is, but the Red Savina has been around for a looong time. When I first started making bottled sauces back in 2000, Red Savina was the official "hottest chile in the world". From what I understand, the RS seed was registered/trademarked/? something...anyway so growers had to buy from licensed RS seed sellers. Only seeds purchased from those licensed vendors could use the name Red Savina in their marketing etc. The seeds still command a premium price even though, according to some big-time growers, the RS is no hotter or different flavor than some other un-registered carribean red habanero varieties.

I believe the licensed seed thing is still in effect, and there are several seed vendors who do sell RS seeds. Just google it. I grew several RS plants a couple years ago for use in my sauces. They grew pretty easy, and were pretty prolific producers.

Happy Growing!

Hey thanks salsa lady. Thats clears it all up for me. So its not a stability issue, just a liscensing issue. Think i may try growing them this year to see what they are all about.

True Red Savinas are and always will be F1 hybrids as far as I know. That's why you have to buy the seeds. If you tried to save your own, they would be f2 hybrids and with f2s the recessive traits will start showing up.

I ordered some Savina Seeds from MidwestChiliHeads. I am really looking forward to growing them this year. So far the only fresh habs I have tried are the orange ones. My dad had some Mustard habs growing in his garden last year, but they didn't do so well with the heat and lack of rain that we experienced around here... so I didn't get a chance to try any. Hopefully the growing season isn't as brutal this time around.

And, just because I feel that this thread needs some color:

red_savinas1.jpg

Hey Westin I tried the mustard habs too last year. Had 2 plants and no luck with either one. Caribbean reds were very productive for me. I searched and found where i believe i could get the best red savina seeds. Thanks everone for your input. Helped me a lot.

Back