• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Red vs Yellow heat

good question, i would say the red, but also it depends on the strain. like yellow 7pod will be hotter than red habanero, because the 7pods are hotter strain, but if you consider red 7pod vs yellow i would say red is hotter, now if you add the brown its another story where some browns are even hotter than the reds, like the brown 7pod i had last year it was hotter than the trinidad scorpion butch , that ED had according to him, so this doesnt make it hotter than thenew world record holder because the pod size is huge and ED ate the whole pod in one bite so i would say in answering your question is try and tell.

look at this crazy man ED eating one of my brown 7 pods

ED vs Brown 7 Pod

There would be exception no doubt but i would say in general reds from the same strain would be hotter than any other colour.
Just my opinion. :fireball:

I can't think of any examples that oppose this.

The only one i can think of that may oppose is what Judy said about the chocs. Douglahs (or Brown 7's) have not been HPLC tested yet and many people are of the opinion that they are hotter than the "normal" 7-pod red. Until they are tested though we will have to stick to what we know.

Edit: Added "Brown 7's as not to confuse.

The only one i can think of that may oppose is what Judy said about the chocs. Douglahs (or Brown 7's) have not been HPLC tested yet and many people are of the opinion that they are hotter than the "normal" 7-pod red. Until they are tested though we will have to stick to what we know.

Edit: Added "Brown 7's as not to confuse.
True that! I haven't yet tasted a douglah, but I have some seeds for next season. If Neil thinks they're hotter I tend to believe him. I'm not even sure I could distinguish them, they are all pain to me at that level!

Novacastrian , your right only offical tets can give us the right rate, but on the other hand we all knew than the Trinidad scorpions are way hotter than the Jolokias even they were not tests back then but what we eat can tell better than what the lap states , so in my own experince i found douglah Not this brown 7pod, the original douglah hotter than the Trnidad scorpion Butch, now other people might think differant, so my word is try to tell. :mouthonfire:

thanks for the publicity just before the season judy!! reds are always hotter than the yellows of the same species. fatally red was the same heat as yellow. i'm still trying to unravel the 7pod brown mystery. i will do more tests on it this year. but after doing 2 different douglahs from 2 good sources on this webisite judy sent me and mike these insane huge chocolate peppers with a fat stinger tail at the end. these things were about half the size of a pool ball! i was scared of the size but figured , after butch t , i'd be ok. WRONG ANSWER!!!! this pod tasted better than any pod i'd ever had but almost killed me! i've never seen a throat burn that would not go away forever!! worse than douglah , brainstrain , barrackpore, red 7pod , butch t , regular scorp , you get the point. these were so hot that i had to send a few seeds to neil. i gotta know what he thinks! i've got cappys douglah growing this year and 7pod brown , of course. and butch t. last year my tests were largely from other people and while i'm aopen to anything that comes my way , most tests will be chilis grown by me from judy , jim duffy (habanero 500) and afew strains from cappy (pepperidge farms). i will compare like strains grown under same conditions. whole pod , as always. not for bravado but for the whole truth.

I dunno if it's just my imagination, but it seems like this last season, my Choc Bhuts have been much hotter than all of my Red Bhut varieties.

And my Yellow Bhuts, well, nowhere near as hot as either choc or red.

Darker pigmentation means that pods are able to soak up more heat from the sun. We know that hotter growing temps produce hotter pods so maybe the key lies there.

Just thinkin out loud.

Darker pigmentation means that pods are able to soak up more heat from the sun. We know that hotter growing temps produce hotter pods so maybe the key lies there.

Just thinkin out loud.
Listen to Mr Scientist here... :rofl:

Nah, seriously, you might be onto something there!

Most of the different colored varietities are not true types but crosses of the original so its hard to make a fair comparison. For example the douglah is a 7 pod crossed with an unknown brown chinense, so to compare that to a true red 7 pod is not really a fair comparison. Its like asking what's hotter a 7 pod or a specific 7 pod cross(3.5 pod) that happens to be yellow or brown.
When you take a very old landrace variety like fatalii(yellow) and cross it, in my opinion it is no longer a fatalii. Hundreds of years to get the true landrace pepper, but it only takes one cross and its not really a fatalii anymore even if its pod shape is similar

In general the reds and browns are usually hotter than yellows, but it wasn't too long ago that the devil's tongue and fatalii were among the hottest peppers ever tested.

Douglas have been tested higher than 7 pods(real red ones) but not as high as scorpion-BT. Size of pod does not matter when it comes to SHU

I dunno if it's just my imagination, but it seems like this last season, my Choc Bhuts have been much hotter than all of my Red Bhut varieties.

And my Yellow Bhuts, well, nowhere near as hot as either choc or red.

i do find the Bhut jolokia Brown hotter than the red for sure :mouthonfire:

Back