• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Reefer, no reefer, doesn't matter after opening?

A typical sauce that has a ph @ or below 4.0, bottled using the hot/fill/hold method, and ingrediants such as peppers, garlic, misc vegetables, fruits, vinegar... should such a sauce be refrigerated after opening?

LOL que, watermelons aren't pickles :think:

Thanks Rocket, you can sleep easy tonight knowing you just saved 1,000's ...ok, maybe just a handful since it'll be my first sauce.

Reefer, no reefer

The last thing I thought this thread would be about is the refrigerator. I was thinking it was heading in a canibis direction.

I refrigerate most of mine, but I do keep a couple commercial hot sauces in my desk drawer at the office if they don't have a "refrigerate after opening" label on them. They haven't gone bad before I can eat them up. Of course, all my home made ones are always refrigerated for additional caution.

Just look where your big chain restaurants keep the stuff, they have strict guidelines to follow, Tabasco is never cold, even Ketchup only needs to be cold if your not using it for extended periods of time, I found sour ketchup many times, cause servers where not rotating stock, putting new on top of old when they married em. I store all my sauces in the fridge in one section after I open em.

Unless you know for sure ir its a commercial sauce that doesnt say refer after opening, most refer. But, having said that, most of my sauces I dont refer because I know the recipe. If it has stuff like garlic and onion, its best to refer.

Back