• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds refrigerated peppers and their seeds

I've heard that people freeze pods and can still germinate their seeds later on so this should be no different. I haven't run into any problems either.

Almost all the seeds I have planted have come from peppers that have been kept in my fridge! Everything has sprouted. Should be good to go :) Whatcha plannin on growing?

I knew refrigerated was fine, but I had no idea frozen was fine! Good to know I can just toss my peppers in the freezer without meticulously saving seeds...

Verivus said:
I knew refrigerated was fine, but I had no idea frozen was fine! Good to know I can just toss my peppers in the freezer without meticulously saving seeds...

I think you get about 50/50 from frozen seeds. May be worth popping a few out before you throw them in there.

( virgilcane) i  threw a bunch of nagas in the fridge in the garage to make hot sauce and been in there a couple of weeks ago and didn't remove seeds first nice pods . 

Dave2000 said:
^  Agreed, freezing can decrease germination rate.

^ This -- Depending on how much moisture is in the seed since any liquid inside the seed will expand when frozen and can harm the rest of the seed.

Back