• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Reimers Seeds 7 Pods??

Well if you don't mind the $15 and shipping, go for it. worst case scenario you just lost the money.

More than just money, there's time and effort involved and if the seeds do germinate you may spend months growing them only to find they aren't what they were supposed to be. Been there done that.

yes... I've heard bad things about Reimers.

and $15 for 5 seeds?? ha, its probably best to continue on the search. A momentary lapse in reasoning, i was quite excited by the prospect of actually having access to the elusive peppers.

Opinion wanted:

What's a good number of seeds to save of a popular variety? 25, 50, 100, a whole handful? Also, is it better to allow the pods to dry naturally rather than dehydrate them? I tried sowing Thai Sun seeds from some peppers that I raised last year and none out of about 30 (tried three times) germinated. The peppers were dehydrated.

Mike

I dehydrate at low temps and seeds are fine. As foe # of seeds, it depends on how many you plan to grow and/or trade.

When you try savings seeds of super hots like Bhut Jolokia, you're tolerance will diminish. I deseeded a lot of pods and 3/4 of the way through, I felt sick from the fumes. It's NOT a fun process. lol.

Chris

Chris,

I can't say I had any super hots, only habs, jalapenos and Thai sun peppers but I never noticed any fumes at all while dehydrating (at 96 degrees). Grinding them up in a coffee grinder - yeah, the fumes where noticeable, at least in the kitchen.

Mike

Those types of peppers aren't any problem. When you start deseeding 600,000 SHU+ peppers, believe me, it can be lethal. I grind my peppers into powder and that's even more need to be cautious. Only the super hots can be hard to deseed without using a respirator mask.

Chris

wordwiz said:
Chris,

I can't say I had any super hots, only habs, jalapenos and Thai sun peppers but I never noticed any fumes at all while dehydrating (at 96 degrees). Grinding them up in a coffee grinder - yeah, the fumes where noticeable, at least in the kitchen.

Mike

No Reimers

POTAWIE said:
Never deal with Reimers

Not Reimers... even in Asia, the seeds from reimers are "SXXX" as they fail to grow, you burn your wallet and a big waste of time as many seeds fail to grow, seeds are cracked ...

I am also loooking for reliable, reasonable good quality seeds from reliable, reasonable, good seed sellers.

HELP me too, Potawie, Pam!

I have had good luck with Beths seeds at Peppermania.

Back