• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Renewed excitement!

My, it has been a busy spring. Finally getting caught up. Weather has been tough so far. Either hot and windy or cloudy and windy. Only seen 32/100ths of rain in almost six weeks. Hardening off has been a challenge. Lost a few plants to wind damage. Went to work with a northwest wind and came home to a southeast wind. Plants all over the yard. Took a little risk and planted out 12 Jalapeno, 12 habanero, and 6 Cayenne plants on May 24th (last frost day). Still have enough to replace them all if need be.

Indoor plants have done okay. The Habs and C. Reds had flower drop and didn't produce anything. I think they are finally starting to set fruit. The Jalapeno M and Biker Billy plants did great. Harvested 20 pods off of them and have another 20 or so in progress. Those Biker Billy peppers about bring tears to my eyes. They have a little bite on the tongue. Here are a few ripe ones...

RipeBikerBillypeppers.jpg

they seem a little small, but I suspect that is due to growing inside over the winter.

Also have an interesting Cayenne. Is this common?

DoubleCayenne.jpg

The pod doubled somehow.

Looking good!

Bummer about the winds, kind of like that all the time up there isn't it? Looks like your work is paying off though, very cool.

Something about that Siamese twin pepper that makes me......hot.;)

I think this puts my Florida plants to shame. I'd love to have ripe pods to show. Good job on the indoor grow! No experience in that, but major props!

Yep, if it isn't windy up here something is wrong. I've got a solid shelter belt covering everything but southeasterly and easterly winds. Planted 50 oaks, 50 spruce, and 50 shrubs this spring in order to beef up the southern exposure on the property. Now I have to wait a few decades to reap the benefit.

It appears that the Biker Billys (which I've never grown) are in "corking" mode. Cool!

I absolutely love to make chipotles out of beautiful ripe jalapenos.

Good job!

I kinda wish I hadn't gotten loaded one night and ate a bunch of the green Biker Billy peppers. Some of them were beautifully corked. Someone needs to make pepper flavored beer... or drunk people repellent. It may keep peppers from disappearing.

They call the Biker Billy a "hybrid," I sort of interpret that as meaning that it is a specific cross between mean jalapeno mama and papa plants. I have no idea what the cross was though. Mr. Hufnagel (sp?) probably doesn't want anyone to know. The plants I have all grew a little faster and a little thicker than the Jalapeno M, so there must be some difference. Plus, the Jal M plants all forked and formed four main branches, while a couple of the Biker Billy plants forked and formed three main branches. Don't know if that is significant or not.

Any votes on what I should do with the twin Cayenne when it ripens. Can't see an image of the Virgin Mary of Jesus in it, so probably no resale value on EBay...

Very nice plants! It looks as if there is another set of twins in the lower right of pic too. Ya must be feeing her some fertility drugs. :)

Wish I could trade ya some of our rain. Today is the first rain free day I've seen in a while.

Silver_Surfer said:
Wish I could trade ya some of our rain. Today is the first rain free day I've seen in a while.

+1!

Except it rained here today too! Hopefully this weekend will lighten up, but for now all potted plants remain on my porch, as they've been soaked quite enough.

FiveStar said:
+1!

Except it rained here today too! Hopefully this weekend will lighten up, but for now all potted plants remain on my porch, as they've been soaked quite enough.

Supposed to be a sunny weekend here for a change. I've left mine out in the downpour and so far no ill effects, crosses fingers.

Maybe it will be dry enough this weekend to give my garden ho a much needed workout.

My plant with flowers started dropping them, so I figured it was a wee bit too wet for her, and pulled them all onto the porch. Also, there's been mention of possible hail in the news, so I didn't take any chances with mine. All that were potted and able to be moved to shelter were.

Back